Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib help....

Options
gatorBGE
gatorBGE Posts: 81
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
New here, got my BGE a couple weeks ago and love it. But now I need a bit of help. Had some company coming over for Christmas and wanted to go all out. Picked up a 4 bone true prime rib roast. It's about 7 pounds. Now our company has had to cancel. I could cook the whole thing, but that is a lot of meat, even by my standards. lol. So, was thinking about cutting it down and freezing part of it. What say ye? Typically there's no way I'd freeze this, but if I cook the whole thing I know some would get wasted.

Cliffs: have a prime rib that's too big for me and wife...cut it down and freeze or cook all and have waste?
Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014

Comments

• DominicMagestic
    DominicMagestic Posts: 110
    edited December 2011
    Options
    had a similar situation a while back.  i cooked half and put half in the freezer.  when I cooked the second half it was just like the first half.  even at that it was two much for two.

you may want to slice the ribs off, season like you like it (I go simple with a little evoo, k-salt, and some fresh rosemary).  then tie the ribs back on and egg to your satisfaction.  remove the ribs and put them back on the next day with some smoking wood (oak is my favorite for beef) at about 250 for 2-3 hours and sauce the last 20 minutes or so - sweet baby rays works for me.  a real treat the next day.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • climbing egg
    Options
    I have one the same size for just my wife and I for Christmas Eve. I plan on cooking the whole thing then making sandwiches out of the leftovers.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    Cut some Rib Eyes off and freeze them, cook the rest?
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Cut off half and send to me (j/k)

If it were me, I'd cut a roast for the portion I need and slice the rest off in steaks - easier to freeze and thaw.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • tfoutch
    Options
    How about you cook one half now, and try dry-aging the other half.  By the time the meat is ready, you will be too!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee