Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEEF RIBS EGGSPERIMENT

born2smoke
born2smoke Posts: 9
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Pics of some ribs from last night. 250 indirect for 7 hours. 2nd time using the egg.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    They look great and are one of my favorites.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I'm usually a baby back fan but want to give these a try. i tend to use the 3-1-1 method for my baby backs cause i want a tender rib that does not fall off the bone. I've heard that different types of ribes require different cooking times (and baby backs take the least amount of time) . Can anyone confirm this? or can i just use the same 3-1-1 on beef ribs?

thanx

Greygoose

• born2smoke
    born2smoke Posts: 9
    edited December 2011
    I didn't foil these, just waited until temp was around 170ish and sauced them twice in 1 hour then removed them from the egg, and foiled for 30 min. They were very tender, just need make sure to trim the ribs well and remove all silverskin.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I don't foil mine either, even at the end of the cook.

I use a flat butter knife to get under the membrane and remove it.  I think this is very important  to make them easier to eat.  I cook indirect at about 250 grid temp for 4-5 hours until they pass the tenderness test. The meat will pull back from the bones starting at around the 2-3 hour mark.

Hopefully my picture will post properly.  This is a cook from a while back, but all this talk about beef ribs will get me to dig through my freezer to find a rack to cook.image
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA