Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs. 2 L Eggs

Options
joe317
joe317 Posts: 28
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
A big green egg will be my Christmas present to myself this year. I know many people have asked about a Large vs. XL, but I've never seen this question. I'm debating between getting 1 XL and 2 Large eggs. The price for 2 large eggs is not that much different than the XL. With 2 larges I can cook different items at the same time which seems logical, but right now on my current gas grill I never seem to need 2 different grills. I have a family of 5 with 3 teenagers.

Anyway, has anyone else had this debate? What was your final decision? I appreciate the input.

Comments

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Now that I have had a Large for a month I can see the value of having two Eggs.  I cooked Baby Back ribs for 51/2 hours yesterday.  I would have like to have had another grill to make some wings on for lunch (did not want to cook on the gas).  So if the money is the same I would get two.  I'm sure two will come in handy.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I just have one large, but in this scenario I personally would choose two large. You could use one for smaller cooks, two for large cooks and have the ability to cook direct on one and indirect on the other. Plus a table with an egg at each end just looks cool. My two cents.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Have researched this one for awhile.  Guess it comes down to how many large dinner parties you host and how many in your family.  I have one large and the debate continues in my head, 'should I have bought an XL?'  As there is just me and the missus in the house I couldn't justify the price of the XL nor the amount of lump we would go through.  Been liking the idea of adding a small to the family as it is more economical in terms of cash and lump used for the smaller, quicker cooks.  Have been told by those that have, this is the way to go for those reasons alone.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• chrisnjenn
    Options
    No brainer.  The 2 larges.  I bought an XL and had it for 6 months and started to regret it.  I sold the XL and got a large and small Egg.  Much happier now.  A lot more versatile.  Heck with all the accessories I got from the CGS, I can cook as much as the guys with the XL when I have to (which isn't often).  When my friends ask me for advice when purchasing a BGE, I tell the ones thinking of getting the XL to just go ahead and buy 2 BGE's and ditch the idea of the XL.  The ones I told this to, did exactly that and thanked me afterwards.

Lump is cheap so the idea of not getting the XL because of using more lump doesn't make sense.  However, the versatality is what makes it a no brainer to buy 2 BGE's instead of 1 XL.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I have an XL and a Large.  The XL was my first and it is the one I use the most.  I like having the extra space.  
    If you are near an EGGFEST you will be able to get a second EGG at a discount price.  
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I've had my XL now for a year and a half.  I still have no desire or haven't had a need for a second egg.  There's enough room on XL where you can have two "heat zones" using a reducer or splitting the lump to one side.  I cook my meat (hamburgers, chicken, etc.) in the center and put the "sides" (corn, potato wedges, etc.) around the edge.  Works great for me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have several eggs but only use two larges and a mini right now. Great choice!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I love having 2 larges I have one with a Nomex gasket for my low and slows and 1 with almost no gasket for my high heat cooks. 2 eggs is the better choice for sure but pretty sure I am going to get an XL soon so I have more cooking options out front.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Add me to the two large and a small club.  I love the combo that I have now.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I originally had 1 large and 1 small and I was really happy with that. I thought it offered the most versatility. Then I got a large for my wife and I've found that we rarely use the small any more.

I love being able to have two eggs going at different temps. Searing beef at a high temp and then moving
    the steaks over to the other large at 300 ish.  If you had only 1 egg (whatever size) you'd spend time waiting 
    for your egg to drop in temp.

Just sayin...

MOS