Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin time help

Options
pissclams
pissclams Posts: 49
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've done these in the past but the pressure is now on as I've been asked to cook 2 5lb tenderloins for a company party tomorrow night.

I'm going to cook/smoke around 240 degrees until it hits 130 degrees internal and then pull it, hoping to catch it at medium rare once the carry-over cooking completes.

I'm guessing it might take about an hour?  Anyone have any experience with these things that can help me understand how long 2 5 pound tenderloins should be expected to cook for?  I just want to make sure I don't show up at the party 3 hours late because I was waiting for the meat to get done...

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Why the low temp?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pissclams
    Options
    Wanted to try and smoke/cook it. 
    It's been 2 years since I last did one and can't remember what I cooked it at. 

This is why I need a Cooking Notebook :(

• Little Steven
    Options
    Me too. I usually do tenderloins hot and fast. Never tried one low and slow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Options
    Wrong way to do it - this is nothing more than a long filet mignon and a slow cook will kill it.    I posted a recipe here a few years ago but can't locate it now - it was something like 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  A big one can take a bit longer but not a whole lot more.    Check any good cookbook and follow their instructions.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I sear my whole loins at high heat and then finish on a raised grid at 350*.  Usually takes about 45 minutes to temp.  IMO if you pull at 130* you'll have them over cooked for medium rare.  I would pull at 125*.  That's just me though.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • pissclams
    pissclams Posts: 49
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll just go 350*.

Do you cook indirect?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited December 2011
    Options
    @haggis: lo and slow roasting is perfectly acceptable.  ever had lo and slow prime rib?

low and slow does not mean "cooked to 200 degrees".

taken to the desired temp, the slower you go the more even the cross section will be.  i can get a roast to 125 in three seconds, by blasting it at 3500 degrees.  perfectly rare in the center, and a cinder beyond that.  go more slowly, and the desired level of doneness will be more even.,

trex-ing, hot tubbing, leaving out on the counter, and slow-roasting all do it.

no one is advocating going lo and slo to break down collagen and render fat, which is what you' expect if it took hours and cooked through the plateau, eventually hiting 200 internal.

but it isn't being taken that far.

you can sure as hell cook any roast at 250 until it is your desired temp.  will still form a crust too.  in fact, if you want to maximize the perfect level of 'done-ness' across the whole thing, you have a good or even better shot with low temps. 

slow roasting.  apparently forgotten in the rush of the internet age. hahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The Oracle has spoken. He is omnipotent.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pissclams
    Options
    The Oracle has spoken. He is omnipotent.
    I just wish he had answered my original question. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i did.  i agreed with your plan.

sorry for not making it blatantly obvious.  when you suggested going low, up to your desired temp, and then i said (paraphrasing) "going slow, up to your desired temp" would be a great way to do it, i didn't think i needed to be more clear.

so here it is.

"yes"

i keep forgetting most folks want simple answers, rather than to understand the concept. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • pissclams
    Options
    i did.  i agreed with your plan.

sorry for not making it blatantly obvious.  when you suggested going low, up to your desired temp, and then i said (paraphrasing) "going slow, up to your desired temp" would be a great way to do it, i didn't think i needed to be more clear.

so here it is.

"yes"

i keep forgetting most folks want simple answers, rather than to understand the concept. 

I appreciate your help but this has nothing to do with simple answers...You're pretty condescending, you should work on that.

My question wasn't can I cook it at temps ~250*, it was how quickly it cooks at such temperatures.  I need it done at a certain time and want to ensure I start it in time to have it done by that time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I generally roll up the thin end and tie it to equalize the cross-section. Don't want to get in any arguments about it though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pissclams
    Options
    I generally roll up the thin end and tie it to equalize the cross-section. Don't want to get in any arguments about it though
      I do that too, trying to make it an equal thickness across the length so it cooks as evenly as possible.  Good advice.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Do you do that while you're 'pounding your chicken?"
    I generally pound most meats that  I want to cook fast, whether sate, shwarma or parmagiana. I did chicken wellingtons tonight and cut the chicken breasts and pounded the breast to a uniform thickness

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I just do what makes sense to me. I try not to overthink stuff cause it isn't really hard

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Smart to pound chicken breasts to an even thickness. It only makes sense. With the tenderloin roasts I cut off the tails and use them for stir fry. I don' know what "little wiener sockeye" are but when I cook salmon filets I cut the thin parts off the sides and save them to toss in a salad for another day. Keep it even and keep it simple.

Cool 65 and we don't have to shovel it.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    I plan to do my 1st beef tenderloin new years eve on my large BGE at our lake house. They are so very lean, I'll probably have to be a little careful with the sear. What do you think, mix the rub in with a little EVOO?
    Plan to pull at about 120 - 125. Probably be about 8 of us, gotta do it right.
    Plan to catch stripers earlier that day.