Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Truth or Myth: fresh free range turkey cooks quicker

GadgetGadget Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
So we have a 22 lbs free range turkey from a local farm that was running around a couple days ago. The farmer claimed a fresh turkey such as hers cooks 25% faster then a standard store bought frozen bird.

Truth or myth??
·

Comments

• Might be true. You can be sure the standard ones have a higher water content. Probably less fat in a free range as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I'm curious as to what results you get ... keep us posted!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • Well, using the figure I found on this forum we estimated 5.5-7 hrs of cooking time at 325*. Well it was done (and maybe 20 min over) and exactly 4hrs. We figured 10 min per pound for next year's bird.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,517
    Good to know this. Thanks for the report.

Did the bird have less fat? I worked with a guy who said wild turkeys were rather difficult to cook, having almost no fat.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    don't discount the fact that when most customers are told this, it's their first time cooking a free range bird.  if they are used to watching the little pop up timer, or they followed the minutes-per-pound method, they probably overcooked their turkeys.  now, buying a free range bird, they are likely to be using a thermometer to determine when it is done, pulling it off at a much lower temp than before.  giving them the impression it is done 'quicker'.  it's just less likely to be overcooked.

i know my BGE turkeys all seemed to be 15 min a pound vs the 2o i was used to.  but i was also doing them unstuffed, and taking them to only 150-155 in the breast.

those pop up timers 'pop' at 180 or so.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • or so being the operative words

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BakerManBakerMan Posts: 154
    This was our first year with a fresh, free range organic turkey.  Our 16 pound turkey reached 170 in the breast in two hours @ 350 degrees cooked in the oven. 
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
    ·
  • I agree with your findings.  I fried a free range bird (my first) the other day, and it finished much sooner than a normal, thawed, frozen bird.  Probably 33 to 50% faster.
    ·