Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Truth or Myth: fresh free range turkey cooks quicker

Gadget
Gadget Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
So we have a 22 lbs free range turkey from a local farm that was running around a couple days ago. The farmer claimed a fresh turkey such as hers cooks 25% faster then a standard store bought frozen bird.

Truth or myth??

Comments

• Might be true. You can be sure the standard ones have a higher water content. Probably less fat in a free range as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I'm curious as to what results you get ... keep us posted!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Well, using the figure I found on this forum we estimated 5.5-7 hrs of cooking time at 325*. Well it was done (and maybe 20 min over) and exactly 4hrs. We figured 10 min per pound for next year's bird.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Good to know this. Thanks for the report.

Did the bird have less fat? I worked with a guy who said wild turkeys were rather difficult to cook, having almost no fat.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    don't discount the fact that when most customers are told this, it's their first time cooking a free range bird.  if they are used to watching the little pop up timer, or they followed the minutes-per-pound method, they probably overcooked their turkeys.  now, buying a free range bird, they are likely to be using a thermometer to determine when it is done, pulling it off at a much lower temp than before.  giving them the impression it is done 'quicker'.  it's just less likely to be overcooked.

i know my BGE turkeys all seemed to be 15 min a pound vs the 2o i was used to.  but i was also doing them unstuffed, and taking them to only 150-155 in the breast.

those pop up timers 'pop' at 180 or so.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • or so being the operative words

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    This was our first year with a fresh, free range organic turkey.  Our 16 pound turkey reached 170 in the breast in two hours @ 350 degrees cooked in the oven. 
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • I agree with your findings.  I fried a free range bird (my first) the other day, and it finished much sooner than a normal, thawed, frozen bird.  Probably 33 to 50% faster.