Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the temp at 325 while basting a turkey

Options
2»

Comments

• redsrage
    Options

I was hoping to LEARN how to cook a turkey on the BGE here. But I didn't learn a thing.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Well, his question wasn't about 'how to cook a turkey'. It was asking how to maintain 325 after opening/closing the dome. The fact that he happened to be cooking a turkey was irrelevant.

I always thought it was hilarious (on the old forum) that someone would complain about posts and threads being too long and off-topic, but only after reading all of it

There are plenty of threads on this forum and the other about how to actually cook the turkey itself, and there will easily be ten more before thanksgiving. Keep looking
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Yes Stike I meant mutt, a mongrel dog. Not moot, a deliberative assembly primarily for the administration of justice.

The grammar police= FAIL.

HAHA

Paul

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Wasn't grammar, was vocabulary.
    I can accept your odd choice of words though, because i'm flexible like that.

'fail' fail
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    @redsrage: But look at the plethora of information you have inadvertently learned about your fellow eggheads. 
    We have an examination at 100 post. (heads-up) The first 50 question are on Mr._tip and Mr. stike. And Yes, there is a few questions on how to cook a turkey. 

Study up

P.S.

Little Steven and I have yet to pass this examination due to the free beer and being Canadian. I'm not sure about the Canadian part but the beer part should explain a lot! and Little Steven's been trying to pass longer than me. (he's a southerner) Shhhhhhh. don't tell him that! 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would rather be a southerner than a left coast hippy. And yes I am a slow learner. Hope Mr. tip doesn't jump on that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    LEFT COAST HIPPY!!?? 

Why you...Hmmmm, 

Yeah, but a least I'm happier! And my hockey team is better! 

Well I'm happier! 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I told you this thread was jacked but how many answers can there be to the original question. Besides we would never riot if our team made the final and lost...like that will ever happen anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    Dude,

I hate to tell you this. Are you sitting down? 

If the Leafs got there, the finals that is. (Let's just pretend) 
    And it went seven games, and they lost! 

With a 100 years of bottled up FAN frustration, it would be a riot never witnessed before. It would be 5 Vancouver riots or 150 occupy whatever park riots! 

You guy's don't know this but secretly the police have been training for Armageddon Toronto for years! 
    Man, even the Taliban are scared for this fight! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    here we go bruins here we go
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Fish, 

I assume your happy with Taylor or Tyler?  LOL
  • Little Steven
    Options

Let's not exagerate. It's been a mere 44 years of frustration

Go Broons

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paulheels
    Options
    It's football and college basketball season. This hockey stuff needs to stop! Haha
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Soccer too!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    .... and it all screws up my PVR timing .... I hate all team sports!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    @paulheels I understand, I feel the same way about baseball. It's so slow and it messes up Sports Centre terribly. LOL 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can't knock baseball on an American forum! Jeez ya want to get us all banicated?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    Ok sorry,

But it still F's-up sports centre. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My God man...next you will be knocking apple pie and hot dogs :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paulheels
    Options
    @paulheels I understand, I feel the same way about baseball. It's so slow and it messes up Sports Centre terribly. LOL 
    HolyShiz. You did not just say that about baseball. I am appalled, at a loss for words and hotter than pig nut on a bed rock.

UN American!

Paul

• Squeezy
    Options
    .... and let's not forget about McNuggets and Spam ....  \:D/
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    edited November 2011
    Options
    No there ok. The best thing they have is NASCAR! Go cousin Carl!  [-O<
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Tomorrow is the last day for Left turn ... praise the lord!
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    edited November 2011
    Options
    @Squeezy: Buy more channels and you don't have to watch it. A right turn takes you to a vineyard.  :-B
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will have to say that I agree that it is not necessary to baste.  Not saying it hurts anything, but IMO the only thing basting does is help produce a golden brown skin.  A turkey cooked in the egg will be nice and brown anyway without basting.   I think this is due to the convection effect of the egg.  Just my $.02, but I don't think it adds any value.  I wouldn't call it stupid or dumb, but then again I'm not a tweev.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.