Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sumi Charcoal?

empireman
empireman Posts: 19
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a very early edition but new Imperial Kamado to go along side with my new XL BGE.  The Egg is set up for baking and will be used for pizza and larger items and the Kamado #5 is the same size as the Large Egg & I'll use that for open flame grilling only.  I also got a very interesting box of Sumi Charcoal.  Does anyone have any experience with this charcoal?  I did research online and found that it was $99.00 for a small box!  YIPES!  What is that about??  I would love to learn about this and hear your thoughts.  I LOVE my XL but it just takes way too much charcoal to fire it up to cook a steak - so now I feel I have the best of both worlds!  Anyone know anyone I can pawn off my $3500 DCS grill and island to??  :-)  - cause it's collecting dust!

Comments

• I have no idea what mangrove charcoal is - can you explain?
  • I just did a search on google for Mangrove charcoal, and it seems that that is exactly what it is.  You sounded negative in your response - is there something "bad" about this charcoal??? Do tell!  :-)
  • Sumi appears to be a japanese word for either charcoal or "without color", i.e. black.  There is sumi ink.  I see lots of references to sumi charcoal.  I found some mangrove charcoal but it wasn't called sumi.   So, I don't think sumi denotes the wood from which the charcoal is made.  I'd still bet it is binchotan.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I seen one reference linking sumi charcoal to bamboo.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I think it is mangrove charcoal that he had sent to him from Japan.  Here's a pic of my new / vintage Kamado.  I think it looks awesome in my asian garden.  So - I'll be using my XL BGE just as an oven for breads and pizzas - but I'll be doing most of my open flame grilling on this baby!  
  • All the references to mangrove charcoal I see call it "kachi", not "sumi".
    The Naked Whiz
  • I think it is mangrove charcoal that he had sent to him from Japan.  Here's a pic of my new / vintage Kamado.  I think it looks awesome in my asian garden.  So - I'll be using my XL BGE just as an oven for breads and pizzas - but I'll be doing most of my open flame grilling on this baby!  
    I can't tell from the pic but I've heard if it is clay the temp limit is around 400 or so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You know - I didn't even think of that. I have the "original" brochure - and it says that I should grill a steak or any meat LESS than 1" at 700 degrees F.  

I'm assuming that since it's in the brochure and it tells you how to get it that hot - that it's made to go that temp.  Fair assumption - no?  Thoughts?