Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing High Heat Gasket

Options
SLMWinds
SLMWinds Posts: 17
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

So like many of you I toasted my gasket and BGE sent me a "high heat gasket" as a replacement. I'm looking for some information and tips on how to best install this. What is the best adhesive to buy? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Destroyr350
    Options
    Use what they recommend. 3m super 77. Only tip I have Is to tape off your egg so when you spray the adhesive you don't get it on everything. it's easier to take everything apart to do it and use the adhesive sparingly, you only need a little. Did mine 2 days ago, much better gasket
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    spray both the gasket and the rim.

if you spray the rim while holding the can inside the egg, and fairly close to the rim, you won't need to mask off anything.  any overspray on the inside will burn off (it's nothing but natural rubber, latex).  and if you aim correctly, the overspray on the exterior will overshoot and not hit the outside of the egg.  maybe a little mist, but that can wipe off with a rag of acetone (which you probably have from cleaning the rim).

you can also hold a small chunk of cardboard to block the spray from hitting the inside.  just move it along as you spray

or you can use a zig-zag or permatex high temp silicone sealant.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    edited November 2011
    Options
    spraying it into a cup means you paid for sprayable contact cement and turned it into regular contact cement.

skip paying the premium for super77 and just buy contact cement if the preference is to brush it on.  as with all contact cement, do the gasket AND the rim (whether spraying or brushing)
  • stike
    Options
    it's all contact cement.
    maybe BGE recommends because the spray makes it easy to apply. hahaha
    my point was that in spraying it into a cup, it is not longer anything but rubber/contact cement anyway

like buying spray paint, then spraying it into a cup to control overspray.  wouldn't it make sense to just buy the paint in a can?

$13  buys way more contact cement than what is in a can of 77

for anyone reading along, the overspray isn't an issue when you spray the rim from the inside of the egg, and holding the tip somewhat close to the rim.  anything inside the egg burns off.  it's harmless natural latex

• Little Steven
    Options
    Natural latex he said knowingly. Hehehe

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    goof. hahaha

anyway, the only diff between the stuff in the can and in liquid form is the sprayability.  they thin the stuff with enough solvents that it can be sprayed. seems odd to pay a premium for something not desired
  • stike
    Options
    want more glue, go permatex
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    You can also replace your BGE gasket with a Kamado Joe gasket which is a pretty good gasket! check it out here: BGE, Kamado Joe and Nomex Gasket Burn TEST 

Cheers!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Any fellow Canadians know where to get Kamado Joe gaskets here?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I would check with dealers in your local, I found 3 within 30 miles of where I live.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • SLMWinds
    Options

I had someone recommend Rutlands gasket cement. Anyone have any experience with that? The guy that recommended it is a BGE veteran.

Do I need sandpaper or a sanding block to clean the rim before application to get all remaining debris off?

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I used a paint & rust remover on a drill to clean it up. Many people have used this technique. I didn't want to use any chemicals.  It worked well.

See here:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    My warranty says it's void if power tools are used on it.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • SLMWinds
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I don't plan to use any power tools-I was just considering using sandpaper or a sanding block to prepare the surface for cement/adhesive. Would love to hear any other opinions/experiences people have!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Dozens and dozens of people can't be wrong.  It's looks rugged but this thing is made of out plastic.  It's not going to hurt the rim.  It simply makes life easier.  It's worth it, trust me.

Packerland, Wisconsin