Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter question

Options
Charles in SC
Charles in SC Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When the plate setter is in the egg you have the option of turning it so one of the wings for lack of a better term is directly under the dome thermometer or the wings are to the side and an open area is under the temp probe. Does this make a difference in your reading?
It seems that the wing would deflect the heat and cause a different reading.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Charles in SC,
    I'm not sure about the difference in temp... I haven't really thought about that. I guess because I let the egg stabilize at temp for a good 1 hour before cooking, I have no concerns. One thing I do with the plate setter, though, is to put a wing at 12 o'clock when looking at the opened egg. It seems that on my medium, there is a hot spike that flows up the back and this 12 o'clock placement helps tame it a bit. It took several burnt pizza's to figure it out on my egg.[p]Glad to see your frequent posts here. I hope to see you in Ocala again in March. Have you booked yet?[p]Banker John

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hi, Charles. I haven't noticed any difference in temps caused by the position of the plate setter legs. I believe there is more than enough air/heat circulation to offset the relatively minor obstruction of one leg. In addition, after the plate setter gets heated, it's temperature is pretty darn close to that of the air inside, so the effect would be miniscule anyway. Will we see you in Hickory?[p]Jim
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    JSlot,
    Thanks Jim, yes I will be in Hickory.
    See ya there!
    Charles

• Charles in SC
    Options
    Banker John,
    Thanks John, I have not made a decision about Ocala yet but It was great fun!