Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Kielbasa?

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever try to smoke raw kielbasa on the BGE?  If so, how the hell do I do it, and is it worth the effort? Temp, duration, wood type?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• Anybody ever try to smoke raw kielbasa on the BGE?  If so, how the hell do I do it, and is it worth the effort? Temp, duration, wood type?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can hot smoke it to 150 internal and eat right away, or you can hot-smoke to the same temp, then plunge into an ice bath, pat dry, and allow to darken for a couple hours at room temp.  then store for later use (grilling, frying, etc.).

do it indirectly (not direct grilling).

this was home made, then hot smoked, plunged, bloomed, and stored for later use

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thanks for the information and great picture.  Looks fantastic. 

At what temperture do you set the Egg, and how long should it take to reach 150 internal?

Should I use smoking chips. 

Thanks again.

Med & XL

• stike
    edited November 2011
    Options
    chips or chunks, no real difference.

it's hot-smoked, so you can go 180-225 or so.  it's your call, because you get more smoke the higher you go, but you can also go longer if you hold temps down.

it will be a good experiment for you to try holding 180-190, and if it creeps up, no big deal.

no idea how long, off hand.  won't take all day or anything, since it is a small cross section.  give yourself an hour and a bit more.  as third-eye wisely said yesterday "don't plan on a sit down time". 
  • Thanks so much.  Can't wait to try it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Pete

Med & XL

• stike
    Options
    did you make it yourself?  its fantastic.