Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtoberfest 2011 1st time attending and a little disappointed.

Bluenose616B
Bluenose616B Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I was asked to resubmit my posting from greeneggers.com forum for input from the BGE corporate office and other BGE owners. I hope I have the right forum, so here we go.

My buddy has two BGE 1 large and 1 medium. He has been a pround owner for a year and a half now. I was hooked after the first meal and that was over a year ago. I was supposed to go to Eggtoberfest 2010 but my grandmother fell ill which prevented me from going. But the deal for buying a demo egg and a free ticket was pretty awesome. My friend did go (which is where he picked up his 2nd egg - the medium). He brought back samples of rub and various spices, he told me the different vendors that were present and so forth. Well, that did it! Marked off the calendar for this years Eggtoberfest and I started counting the days. When time came for ticket purchase I wasted no time, not only did I buy the tickets (my my wife and I) but I prepurchased a demo egg! I was a little dissapointed that you couldn't get a free ticket with the pre-purchase, but I know economic times are a little rough. To shorten the story ......... Went to eggfest, goergeous day, great food, good speaker (Dr BBQ). My disappointment came from the accessories available at the eggfest. I spent a lot of time researching various add-ons and spices/rubs for the BGE. All I found at the 2011 eggfest was nothing but BGE branded stuff. Even some of the venders that were demonstrating could not sell their products! I liked the BGE company because it seemed like a close, tight knit family company that liked to BBQ. I understand the need to market one's self, but guys .....really? I couldn't buy Dizzy's rubs or maybe see items from the ceramic store, etc. I found your "sole provider" attitude a major turn-off, and this is coming from a first time egg owner who would love to promote you product. I hope this observation is taken constructively and BGE polls it's owners to see if other concur. And, if they find others agree, then I hope they reconsider it's position for next years eggfest, to allow other vendors to attend and sell their products as well. If there is a bigger peice of the puzzle that I am missing please let me know. This forum is awesome and I look forward to using it a lot!

Comments

• gee
    gee Posts: 71

Yes you have the corporate site.

I too feel the same way Great food (awesome cooks) great day and all. but did wish there was more vendors.

This will not be my last eggtoberfest if only to get more great recipes and to meet more eggheads.

I will promote the Big Green Egg to all of my friends because this IS THE WORLDS BEST GRILL.

I do want one of the cornhole games. Me and My friend would have bought two on the spot.

Like I said next october can't come soon enough

Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Don't know if I'll get to an Eggfest due to distance to travel and now feel less inclined to do so ...

I've always shunned exclusivety ... it in a word ... sucks!

Perhaps all the non-BGE people can get together and have a gathering where everyone is invited to share their wares ... except BGE ... "Ceramicfest" or ...?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I was asked to resubmit my posting from greeneggers.com forum for input from the BGE corporate office and other BGE owners. I hope I have the right forum, so here we go.

My buddy has two BGE 1 large and 1 medium. He has been a pround owner for a year and a half now. I was hooked after the first meal and that was over a year ago. I was supposed to go to Eggtoberfest 2010 but my grandmother fell ill which prevented me from going. But the deal for buying a demo egg and a free ticket was pretty awesome. My friend did go (which is where he picked up his 2nd egg - the medium). He brought back samples of rub and various spices, he told me the different vendors that were present and so forth. Well, that did it! Marked off the calendar for this years Eggtoberfest and I started counting the days. When time came for ticket purchase I wasted no time, not only did I buy the tickets (my my wife and I) but I prepurchased a demo egg! I was a little dissapointed that you couldn't get a free ticket with the pre-purchase, but I know economic times are a little rough. To shorten the story ......... Went to eggfest, goergeous day, great food, good speaker (Dr BBQ). My disappointment came from the accessories available at the eggfest. I spent a lot of time researching various add-ons and spices/rubs for the BGE. All I found at the 2011 eggfest was nothing but BGE branded stuff. Even some of the venders that were demonstrating could not sell their products! I liked the BGE company because it seemed like a close, tight knit family company that liked to BBQ. I understand the need to market one's self, but guys .....really? I couldn't buy Dizzy's rubs or maybe see items from the ceramic store, etc. I found your "sole provider" attitude a major turn-off, and this is coming from a first time egg owner who would love to promote you product. I hope this observation is taken constructively and BGE polls it's owners to see if other concur. And, if they find others agree, then I hope they reconsider it's position for next years eggfest, to allow other vendors to attend and sell their products as well. If there is a bigger peice of the puzzle that I am missing please let me know. This forum is awesome and I look forward to using it a lot!
    Come to the Georgia Mountain Eggfest next year on May 18th and 19th. It'll give you a whole new perspective on eggfests! I'm already lining up vendors! ;)
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Please dont get Me wrong. I was disappointed with not having other wares for the egg,but you must make it to an eggfest just for the comraderee(sp?) that is there will make up for it and the food OMG!!.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Georgia is a bit far for me ... :(
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    I definitely agree! I have 2 eggs and have convinced 6 other people the buy one over the last year. This was the first eggfest for me and a buddy of mine. We both left disappointed that no other vendors where there.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Everyone needs to let corporate know how they feel. I know one person in our party asked about it and they were told that the BGE vendors said it cuts into their sales and that they are BGE's customers. So all of us that own big green eggs and paid to go to the event aren't customers and just don't matter I guess?
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    We had a good time and really enjoyed picking up a few new recipes but I seriously doubt that either one of us will return unless there are other vendors and more instruction.
  • I will attend othr events where I can view a diverse selection of accesories and spices. 2 local dealers have lost my business due to their limited selection of accessories and limited knowledge
  • I've got to agree....I was trying to figure out what was missing...and it was the opportunity to see other products/idea/vendors.....we did the 1st annual Eggfest in Hiawasee, GA and would probalby return....but we will not return to ATL....unless they change the format.  I can shop in Tucker whenever I need BGE items....and get all the recipes I need through Google. 
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    100% agree. I missed this years fest for the 1st time in 6 years. I went to the GA mtn festival last year and realized that is how it should be. Once the eggfest moved to the speedway it went south in quality and for more reasons than the vendors.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    A couple thousand people disagree and had a great time this year.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    BGE is so afraid to loses there market share. They should infact incouradge vendors to sell other product! Every one should help each other. Nothing makes me mader then corporate greed! Thats why I like Kamado Joe they actually incouradge you to try other product and use other accessories with there grill that are not made by KJ! They value there customer and listen to them plus they help other small company's.

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • It was different at the Eggtoberfest this year.  A lot of cool eggers but have to agree, that the lack of Dizzy Pig, Carnivore Sauce and other vendors made it seem like I was in a "TUMI" luggage store and not a BGE Eggfest...I was also disappointed that they ran out of good beer hours before the ending (only light beer left) and that they ran out of water bottles for the participants - no excuse.
  • Really, that's your take away from Eggtoberfest?  You know the Dizzy Pig folks put on their own event.  Maybe you should go to Virginia for that.  I thought this forum was supposed to be about exchanging cooking tips and recipes.  Instead all I see is a bunch of whiners complaining when they don't get everything they want.  Here's an Idea...put on your own Eggfest.  Then you can invite who ever you want.  Guess what guys, sometimes vendors don't want to come to Eggtoberfest.  Don't you think it costs Dizzy Pig a lot of money to sponsor their own event.  

You guys sound like a bunch of conspiracy theory idiots.  Whining because you couldn't buy spices and get your favorite beer.  This festival is about the food and cooking.  Some of you gubers need to get a life!!!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Really, that's your take away from Eggtoberfest?  You know the Dizzy Pig folks put on their own event.  Maybe you should go to Virginia for that.  I thought this forum was supposed to be about exchanging cooking tips and recipes.  Instead all I see is a bunch of whiners complaining when they don't get everything they want.  Here's an Idea...put on your own Eggfest.  Then you can invite who ever you want.  Guess what guys, sometimes vendors don't want to come to Eggtoberfest.  Don't you think it costs Dizzy Pig a lot of money to sponsor their own event.  

You guys sound like a bunch of conspiracy theory idiots.  Whining because you couldn't buy spices and get your favorite beer.  This festival is about the food and cooking.  Some of you gubers need to get a life!!!!
    I don't think it was just him. If you read above many people felt the same way not only here but at the event. Also if you read above people are putting on their own events because BGE is losing touch with its customers. You say sometimes vendors don't want to come but that wasn't the case here. BGE didn't let them come. Dizzy Pig came and didn't even sell stuff. This festival isn't about food and cooking as much as it has always been about the people that use and love their eggs. BTW I missed all your posts about cooking tips and recipes maybe you would like to share?
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited November 2011

Since a few people on here love to bash/be highly critical of the BGE (other threads--trolls?--News Flash-Kamado Joe has their own forum), I want to go on record and say I love the BGE Corporation and my Eggs.  They have always been supportive and fast with replies.  I talked to my dealer and they (meaning BGE Corp) sold more Eggs this year so far than any other time in its history.  Not bad in this economy, huh?  New management is doing something right.  I know it is shocking (insert sarcasm). 

I loved Eggtoberfest the last couple of years.  I hope they keep it the same each year.  They can invite  vendors or not (I don't care either way).  If people don't like it, then don't go to it.  It is their party and they can invite whoever they want to it.