Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halibut

Options
burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited October 2011 in Seafood

I came back from Alaska with a lot of halibut fillets.  Halibut does not have much oil (like salmon does).It cooks very quickly and is easily overcooked.  I actually cook it on foil since it falls apart so easily and can fall thru the grate.  I baste with lemon butter and put a little sweet paprika or DP mostly to provide a little color.  Anyone out there with another good halibut recipe? 

Comments

• burr_baby33
    Options
    Thanks Tweev_tip.  I'm pretty sure black cod is pretty oily and very good.  My Alaska guide thinks it is one of Alaska's best.  I have fried it with good results  but will try your smoked recipe.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Hey Tweeve
    You are right. Like pulling up a piece of plywood. Salmon are a ball. I fish for stripers year around using exact methods as salmon so it have that kind of fun most weekends.
  • Papalikes
    Options
    Funnily enough, a halibut fisherman from Alaska is renting the house next to mine for the off-season. I was talking to him last night about he would cook the halibut steaks he gave me. His recommendation was to wrap them in foil with lemon juice and garlic salt. When asked how long to grill them for, he just said to wait until the meat flakes off when twisted with a fork.
    So, do I just make some "bowls" out of foil and toss them on the cooking grate, leaving the meat exposed, or do I wrap them up fully? Then, what temperature should I shoot for and about how long should I expect it to take?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just a suggestion but you can do them in parchment paper. Works well for mild, tender fish. Look up "en papilotte" and you will see the technique.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Just a suggestion but you can do them in parchment paper. Works well for mild, tender fish. Look up "en papillote" and you will see the technique.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I've had great results with salmon at 225º for an hour to an hour an half. Nice color, moisture, smoke and tenderness. Mine were just on foil, but a fish rack would be great.

Should work with halibut too.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • burr_baby33
    Options

Papalikes

I think your neighbor really means to fully wrap the fillets with no exposed meat.  That will keep it moist even if overcooked. Halibut is a very non oily fish and will dry out very easily.  In my description above, I do leave it exposed but I turn quickly and keep it moist with lemon butter. Very hard not to overcook because it gets done much quicker that you expect. When done right, very yummy.