Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chop rub

Options
spalcze
spalcze Posts: 14
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am still a new egger, and trying my hand at some pork chops. I am doing about 1.75 to 2" chop. I am looking for a good rub to use and need some help on cook times and temp. Do I treat it like the steak, 650-700 degrees for a couple minutes on each side then close everything up and cook for a couple more minutes? Any help will be great. Thanks

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I'm assuming loin chops ... so I'd keep it down to 400º to 450º

Moisture loss is what you want to guard against, so take them off at 145º to 150º ... fresh pork is very safe these days.

I like Dizzy Pig's rubs ... Tsunami Spin or Jamaican Firewalk.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Spalcze
    For a thick chop like that, 650 to 700 could be a bit too hot. If you totally sear the thing in 3 minutes then try and roast it to where it's done, it may be too black on the outside.  I like to slow the it down so a good sear takes at least 5 minutes on the first side. I still like a hot grill, at least 500, because that chop absolutely deserves a good browned crust.
    Happy cookin
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BTW, thanks for the mention Squeezy.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Most welcome ... it's well deserved!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • dunnharr
    Options
    Ditto the 450, cook to about 145-150, and definitely recommend the Dizzy Pig!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I've had good luck with the following. Rub both sides with Worcestershire sauce. Season both sides with Lawrey's season salt, Accent and Lemon pepper. Sear at 550 or so for 2 minutes rotate 90 degrees for another 2 minutes, turn over and do the same. You have now seared both sides for 4 minutes each. Finish at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes. Always comes out moist and flavorful. Check the internal temp for your preferred degree of doneness.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.