Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need a Plate Setter?

wnaber
wnaber Posts: 8
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have been lurking here on this site for a month or so while I researched the BGE. Today I pulled the trigger and ordered an XL.  I was not sure which accessories to buy right of the bat so I thought I would ask the experts here.

I am wondering if I should buy a plate setter or are there other options?  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    No way. Get this. http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2-adjustable-rig-combo/ . It will do everything. If you go to the main page ceramicgrillstore.com and on the left click xl adjustable rig it will show you all the cooking options you can do with it. I would never buy a plate setter ever again.
  • You need some form of plate setter or rig capable of holding a stone in order to do indirect cooks
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

Platesetter is the cheapest way. the Adjustable Rig is more costly but does more.

Most get platesetter first. Most who get Adjustable Rig never use platesetter again.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Yes.  Get a platesetter.  Without it, you might as well just get a Webber and be done with it.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Yes!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Yup ...within minutes of putting my egg together, I was asking 'Why they are not standard equipment like the firebox and fire ring'?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Yup ...within minutes of putting my egg together, I was asking 'Why they are not standard equipment like the firebox and fire ring'?
    Exactly, it's really ridiculous that the plate setter doesn't come standard.  It's not an "EGG" without a way to cook indirect, if you know what I mean.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Does anyone have a photo of their woo in action?  
  • Lit
    Go to ceramicgrillstore.com and on the left click what you are interested in woo3 for large or woo2 for xl and they have many photos of different set ups you can do.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    in a large the plate setter would be good for bread baking, i dont make much bread so it really isnt something i would need, some cheap fire bricks and a pizza stone and an extra grate and you can do more different types of cooks than limiting your self with a platesetter. with your xl, i dont know, maybe it helps to disperse hot spots, i dont think you need extra heat mass in that beast. i would look closer at the cgs products
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Reflib
    Reflib Posts: 16
    Fish is right about fire bricks. They are very handy and cheap like borsch. The xl platesetter is great but really heavy. So I keep my 4 bricks handy for quick and dirty indirect. Low tech is sometimes best. The AR is also great kit. Love those kitchen tools!
    Right here is the Promised Land. Right now is the Golden Age.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited October 2011

When I want a true "smoking set-up" for the large Egg I use the Platesetter with a disposable turkey roaster for a drip pan.  I also own the the "woo", but feel the platesetter gives me a more controled "indirect" cooking environment in the Egg by closing off the "hot-spot" in the back of the Egg.

My 2¢

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2011

When I want a true "smoking set-up" for the large Egg I use the Platesetter with a disposable turkey roaster for a drip pan.  I also own the the "woo", but feel the platesetter gives me a more controled "indirect" cooking environment in the Egg by closing off the "hot-spot" in the back of the Egg.

My 2¢

I feel the same way.  I own the AR with all the toys it comes with (when I say all, I mean it--I'm a gadget freak), but if I'm just smoking a pork butt or a brisket or doing Clay's pulled beef recipe, I still use my platesetter.  Plus I use it to make bread.  While I use my AR 75% of the time and highly recommend it, I'm still glad I have my platesetter. Everything has its place.

• Yes, the woo with the oval stone is nice.  Price on that set-up with freight vs.  $89 for the platesetter?

We sell both set-ups.  Tom makes a great product.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Lit
    The woo2 with the round stone is $77.95 and around $10 shipping. Then you can do raised also and then go get a cheap metal pizza pan from walmart for under $10 and put that in the woo and make pizzas on the stone so roughly for the same price you get raised cooking, indirect cooking, and can do pizzas.
  • wnaber
    wnaber Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the input.  I was thinking that the Woo3 with a stone would be a more versatile way to go but I was not sure.  Glad I checked with you guys first.  I will let you all know how my first cook go's this weekend.

Will