Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon on an Alder Plank(Marinades)

Options
Mary
Mary Posts: 190
edited November -1 in Seafood

Ingredients

• 1 Salmon filet or steaks
• Ginger Soy Marinade
• Alder plank
• Fresh dill weed fronds, whole

Instructions

Mix up the Ginger Soy marinade. Marinate fish for about 30-45 minutes (while egg is heating)

Heat egg to about 400F dome temperature.

Rig the egg with firebricks and/or pizza stone in a configuration to protect the plank from the direct heat of the fire. Rub olive oil all over the alder plank to season it. Put foil on underside only of the alder plank and place in the egg protected by the bricks. Let plank heat for 20-30 minutes.

Place dill weed fronds on top of the alder plank, then lay the salmon on top of the dill, skin side down, if a fillet. Brush with additional marinade once or twice while roasting. Roast about 45 minutes until done. Don't over cook.

I also added a few soaked alder wood chips to the fire.
Serve on the plank, and enjoy.

Notes

Alder planks can be ordered from www.cooksnook.com for about $31.
The plank is a solid piece of alder wood. The Alder plank is 7&#034 wide, 17&#034 long, 1 ½&#034 thick and just fits the large egg. All edges routed with a round over bit. It has an oval inset 14 ¼&#034 long by 5 ¾&#034 wide, 5/16&#034 deep. It is reinforced with a steel shank on both ends to keep the plank from splitting in the heat. The holes are ¾&#034 across and 5/8 + deep, centered about ¾&#034 + from the ends of the plank. It has a ¼&#034 by 6&#034 long double threaded rod, a washer in the cavity and nuts to hold it together that ned to be tightened before each use. The plank is reputed to last about 4 years, although is says you are not supposed to use it in a grill or over a direct fire.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• Hugethorn
    Options
    planked salmon is my families favorite fish. Done right, it comes out with a nearly poached texture (on the inside) with a nice glaze on the outside. In addition to a glaze similar to the above recipe, I have a mustard sauce I use occasionally.   Personally, i prefer the single use alder or cedar planks to the thick ones, soaked for a couple hours before use, never had a problem with splitting.  I put them directly over the fire on the grill (no stone or placesetter), then toss em when I'm done....$15 for 5 of them.  I can fit 2 side by side on a large.  with the thinner plank, cooking time at 400 is just shy of 20 minutes for a 1.5" thick fillet (skin on, down on plank).  If you get skinless fillets (like the farmed salmon from costco), use a couple layers of parchment paper between the fish and the plank.

• burr_baby33
    Options
    I have used both cedar and alder. My preference is no plank at all. Salmon fillet direct on grill with a couple soaked alder wood chunks.