Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To gasket or Not to gasket that is the question....

Options
Fishbucket
Fishbucket Posts: 18
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
What is the purpose of the gasket ? Why bother ?

Thanks

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    I use a Rutland and I get a great seal and it cushions the lids from a possible accidental chip. I spent too much money on my egg to risk it for a $30 fix and two hours of my time. But, that's just me. To each his/her own.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Some setups do not close as a proper seal between the dome & the base, so w/out a gasket, too much air can escape causing difficulties in reaching proper temps & also being able to snuff out the fire for shutdown. 

Also, as Spoon said - one hard close causing a chip in the ceramic would REALLY suck. 

However, that being said, there are several folks who go "commando" :D and don't bother replacing their gaskets!!! 

My gasket is pretty much fried off - however, my plan is to replace using the Permatex itself as a gasket (however, this is toward the bottom of my "honey do" list so I guess I'll get to it when I get to it) ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Austex_Egger
    Options
    My gasket burnt.  Currently waiting for the Rutland replacement to get here.  My Egg has a pretty significant gap without the gasket (have not tried adjusting it).  I don't have an issue with a few bucks and a couple hours putting a new one one,  just hope the Rutland lasts a while.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Burned my large gasket out over 2 years ago.  The remnants remain to prevent the hard contact between lid and dome but I cook on mine all the time.  No problem with temp control or shutdown.
  • Fishbucket
    Options
    Hi Guys

I just don't know. I got a Nomex and the 77 glue. I like to use my Egg as a red hot cast iron grille to achieve a searing sear on a steak or a veal chop at 1000 degrees or slightly better, even on a 70/30 chuck for a burger. If I put on the Nomex I will lose the ability to add a wicked sear as even the Nomex will not withstand repeated temps over 600. The lid is so darn heavy to begin with I'd find it hard to believe that even by accident you could drop the lid. By the same token I don't drop my heaviest cast iron skillets on the stove either. I'm tempted to agree with Eggtuckey and his eggsperience with temp control or shutdown. First of all when you close the lid I can't imagine it matters all that much in terms of how much longer it would take for the fire to shut down if that is, it would actually take that much longer to shut down at all. I also imagine that since hot air travels outward that an Egg without a gasket would allow the outside ambient air temperature to effect the internal temperature of the egg. After all I cook with the bottom vent open and that seems to have no effect on the internal temp of the egg, none whatsoever. I guess my only concern is what smoke I might lose when smoking something. I'll just have to smoke a brisket and find out. Otherwise it seems as if going without the gasket gives me the fire power I want when I need it.

Thanks for the replies

Frank
  • ribmaster
    Options
    I am also going with a permatex gasket on my large. Any idea how many tubes I might need?
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Fishbucket
    Options
    Why bother with any gasket at all, is my question........

Thanks

Frank
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Gasket is to simply cushion the top as you close it. No worries about seal. Will operate just fine without. I like the gasket. Plan on replacing just the bottom next go around though.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Fishbucket
    Fishbucket Posts: 18
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thanks 4 Runner, that's about what I figured. I just can't see getting all retentive about the gasket. I've read these posts where guys replace gasket after gasket as if without the gasket the Egg goes to hell in a hand basket. I don't think so.