Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help

Bluedot
Bluedot Posts: 82
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a 6.5 pound brisket Saturday and have a question. I planned for the cook to take approximately 1 hour and fifteen minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes to cook to an internal temp of 190 degrees. Much to my surprise, it only took a little over 4 hours. I cooked at a dome temp between 230 and 245 degrees. The meat was probed to monitor the meat temp throughout the cook. Once I reached 190 degrees, I checked in several places with a Thermopen to verify. Also, the meat remained in the plateau for less than 30 minutes. Finished product was really good but I am confused as to the previously described. Anyone have an idea why this happened?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• That's boggling - not sure if you meant to say 11 hours and 15 minutes....I usually go low and slow and it takes the whole day. 

My only thought...was this another cut of meat and mis-labeled?  I'm not a butcher, or a brisket expert....but something obviously doesn't add up...as you are obviously wondering what's going on here....it's got me stumped.

• I meant to say that I was planning on 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes per pound. It was definitely a brisket. I'll check the thermometer calibration and if it is on, I have no clue. The only other thing I could think of was the lack of fat within the meat. I'm really stumped.
  • I'll check it tomorrow and post the result. But here is my next question. Even if the calibration is off, wouldn't the plateau have lasted longer than 30 minutes?
  • I couldn't wait. I just checked the calibration and it was at 150 degrees. I have re-calibrated at 210 degrees or so. The plateau question still has me cunfrused!
  • At 6.5 lbs it seems that you were probably only cooking a brisket flat. Was there a thick fat cap on one side? Usually when I see flats at the store the fat cap has been completely removed. If you really want an all day (or all night) low n slow cook seek out a packer brisket. The packer cut will have the flat and point together and a thick fat cap on one side. 
  • wolfsburg18
    wolfsburg18 Posts: 78
    edited September 2011
    At 6.5 lbs it seems that you were probably only cooking a brisket flat. Was there a thick fat cap on one side? Usually when I see flats at the store the fat cap has been completely removed. If you really want an all day (or all night) low n slow cook seek out a packer brisket. The packer cut will have the flat and point together and a thick fat cap on one side. 
    What is always more disappointing is when you ask for a packer or full brisket and there is just some kid working behind the counter and brings out a flat.  It is just sad in how few families actually cook a regular meal and the kids only know of processed food.
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    edited September 2011
    I usually figure 45 minutes/pound at a temp of 225 - 250 as a good guess at cook time for brisket.  I usually do 9 - 10 pounders and they are generally done in a around 7 hours.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/846208/brisket-for-the-girls........#Item_6