Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round; Help, please

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was asked by my wife's nephew to Egg up an eye of round roast for them for their son's birthday party. While I was honoured to have been asked, now I feel the pressure to do a really good job on it. I know they want it to be for beef on a bun, but beyond that it is my call on what I do with it. I know it's a lean cut, so should I grab a slab of beef fat at the butcher shop to help keep it moist? Low and slow? The sirloin tip roast I did low and slow benefitted greatly from a broth bath after cooking, is that an option? Heard of others (CW?) using a slow cooker/crock pot to accomplish this. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend all!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BBQfan1, If it were mine, I would do it similar to the cookoffs down below. Once it is tenderized you can add your BBQ sauce and really make a great sandwich. Use a good rub with it and takes about 5 hours on a fair sized roast.
    Good luck..C~W
    BTW..I just had a sandwich from my roast last night and it was great on rye..!!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Rule of thumb:
    Lean meats cook using high temps
    Fatty meats low and slo.
    I have used a crock pot with broth to tenderize a tough cut of meat (beef that dried out while cooking)

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]The general rule is "the leaner the meat, the higher the temp of the cook". Following this rule will almost aways produce a great cook. However, breaking this rule can often provide an excellent meal. We enjoy eye of round done this way:[p]For a 2 1/2 lb roast, prepare a marinade/rub following Cats rib marinade recipe with the following changes. Half the amounts in the recipe. Add 2 tbs of yellow onion and another clove of garlic (2 1/2 total). I like to replace the chipole with ground ancho as it has less heat and more flavor in this meal (going to use a rub also). Puree in a food processor and paint over the the roast. Seal tightly in saran wrap and rest overnight in the fridge.[p]Remove, wipe any excess marinade off with a paper towel as its job is done (don't rinse), and coat with JJs rub. Return it to the freezer to cool the exterior and start you Egg to cook at 250F. When regulating at 250F, add a handfull of well soaked and well drained smoking chips (red oak is nice - thanks Cat) directly on the fire, place the roast directly on the grill, and close the top vent totally while opening the botton vent entirely. The temp will drop and mounds of smoke will be produced. Approx. 30 minutes later, the temp will rise to 250F or the smoke will subside. At this point re-adjust both vents to cook at 250F and turn the meat.[p]Cook, rolling every 30-45 minutes to expose all sides to the fire, to an internal temp of 135-140F. Remove and wrap in foil for 20 minutes. Slice thin and serve on a toasted bun with a nice flavored sauce.[p]Timing for the cook (start counting when the Egg reaches 250F after the smoke) will be around 30 min/lb.[p]The result is slices with a nice complicated flavor around the edges (ala JJs rub), with a deeper ring of flavor (marinade/smoke), ending with a tender cooked meat.[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Spin,
    Beautiful post Spin! Thanks for sharing your personal technique with us. It sounds incredible, and your instructions are clear, and creative.
    Thanks!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ