Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Egg thermometer v. Digital thermometer

eggheadbrowneggheadbrown Posts: 46
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
My Digital thermometer and my egg thermometer are off between 25-50 degrees. I assume this is because my digital is at grill level and my egg thermometer is in the dome ( further from the charcoal).

Which thermometer should I go by?

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    edited September 2011
    that's perfectly normal.... dome temp usually runs higher than grate temp...

most recipes refer to the dome temp...
    Kent Madison MS
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 10,549
    BBQMaven is right-go with the dome and expect the grid off-set lower by 20-40*F.  Almost all recipes reference the dome temp so plan/cook with that.  The longer the cook without opening the egg the less the delta T but that's only for the low&slows.  Enjoy-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood
  • Thanks. Don't understand my grill thermometer was higher than my dome by 25-50 degrees. Was running plate setter during cook.
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Have you calibrated your dome thermometer?

Kent Madison MS
  • No. How do i do that?
  • geegee Posts: 71
    edited September 2011
    Boil water and stck the dome thermo into it. If it doesn't read 212 or very close turn the nut on the back till the needle reads 212 or very close.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Great! Thanks!
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,786
    Yep. Mine was off 25 degrees. I check it every so often now too.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: and  and
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • It all depends on how the airflow and heat is drafting at any given moment. In fact, if you had probes all around the grate and all around the dome, you would see varied temps and at different times.