Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help: First Cook with DigiQ II

Options
TJP
TJP Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Just got a bbqguru this week and am going to get a butt on the BGE tonight. I think I understand how it works, but I have a question about how I set the daisy wheel on top of the egg. For a normal slow and low cook, I keep it open only 1/2-1 centimeter. From reading the directions, it appears that I should be keeping it open more with the DigiQ II. Any experience here? Also, if you do keep it open wider, do you do that after the initial smoking period?

Thanks!

Comments

• smalljaws
    smalljaws Posts: 58
    Options
    I close mine all the way and then back off just a sliver (i.e., almost entirely closed). Let the fan provide the draft.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I keep the daisy petals open about the width of a toothpick. I also shut the guru fan damper down to 1/2 or 1/3 open after the temp stabilizes at the set point.

I have a 10cfm fan and use the same settings on a large and medium BGE.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    When you use a device like the DigiQ II, what you are trying to accomplish is having no air getting to the fire unless the unit turns on the blower and provides some air. This won't actually happen, but you do want to limit the natural draft through the cooker as much as possible so that the fire doesn't have enough air to burn hotter than you want. So, when using the DigiQ II you want the daisy wheel to be open just barely. The blower will force air into the cooker (and out) when it's needed.
    The Naked Whiz
  • rperel
    Options
    I ma having trouble using the DigiQ to get temps to stabilize around 180 in the BGE. I am using new lump charcoal, daisy wheel open about 1/8". Varies temp from 200 to 250. Any ideas?
  • ribmaster
    Options
    give control to your digiQ as soon as you lit the grill, open daisy wheel a sliver, verify lid has good seal.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.