Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking in a garage

IrishDevl75
IrishDevl75 Posts: 12
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Does anyone use their egg indoors?  With the storm coming on the east coast I would love to smoke a pork butt, but not sure about smoking in a garage attached to my house.  I can certainly keep the garage doors open, just wondering opinions. Thanks

Comments

• otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    I used to smoke on screened porch.  Not much smell in the house but I did have to repaint after a while:)  Don't do that anymore.
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    I smoke under my carport 100% of the time. Paint every couple years and keep smiling. Weather never changes my approach that way. I would think open garage doors are the same difference but I would make sure you are close to the open doors. My carport has two open sides and I keep the egg by the open area for safety.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Any burning charcoal releases carbon monoxide, and odorless invisible poison. You must have good ventilation. If you see smoke in the back of your garage, I'd suggest that the ventilation is not good.

I have not built an enclosure for my Eggs, but I inquired from someone who does have a roof over. He said 5' from the top of the Egg and the rafters caused no problems.
  • Thanks everyone.  The egg will be right next to the open door, so it should be OK.  Nobody will be out in the garage during the smoke, so it should work OK.  The storm (hype) seems to be dying down, so it might not even be that bad near me.    
  • OK, so Irene delayed me but hasn't stopped me.  Pork butt went on at 7:30 this morning - was hoping for  4AM start.  Was hoping to have it on earlier, but at 3 AM a monster of an oak fell into my yard from my neighbors (scary stuff but everyone is OK - shook the entire house when it hit the ground).  So, I was not to fired up to keep the garage door open with everything going on.  Yard is a mess, but everyone is fine.  Been helping neighbors cut trees that fell and have pork butt, chicken drumsticks, wings, bacon and sausage smoking. Fun stuff indeed.    
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    just watch for sparks blowing into the garage........ its happened before.....pfooooof
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've used a "box" fan to help with the exhaust. As a professional firefighter, I'm supose to say don't do it but it's all about common sense!
  • I keep mine under a canopy by the garage. Some of the smoke goes up the soffit vents and into the upstairs of the garage, therefore everything up there smells like a smokehouse, I like it... daughters and wife, not so much.  Too bad for them!

• Irish, let me tell what I did once.  Don't tell the wife, or else she'll revoke my Man Permit.  She was out of the country, so what she didn't find out didn't hurt her.

My house is a 24 x 40 foot rectangle with steep pitched roof.  At right angles to my house is the garage.  There is a breezeway between my garage and my house, so the only connection between the two is the garage attic.  If you go up into the garage attic, at the end which connects to the house, there is no real opening into the house.  You see this slope of plywood that is the roof of the house.

Ok, now here's what I was doing.  I had the garage door open and I was burning some Kingsford (ptui!) in a Weber Smokey Joe.  The Joe was 2-3 feet inside the garage.  After several hours of this, the CO alarm in my house went off.  Apparently, the CO was able to go up and collect near the ceiling of the garage, make it's way up into the garage attic, through apparently some gap in the roof of the house and then get into the house living space.  I was stunned.  So, all I can say is be careful and have a CO detector in your house.
    The Naked Whiz
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Some may recall that Nature Boy's house burned down under similar circumstances.  Something about windy days and open garages full of stuff, I guess. 
    The Naked Whiz