Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Always "glued" shut

Options
Woody54
Woody54 Posts: 148
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

The two halves of my Lg BGE ALWAYS stick together so I cannot open the dome. I open it by putting a torch in the bottom vent, but that is a pain. What is the best way to prevent this without inducing an air leak so the fire won't die?

Thanks

PS. I really did search a few times before I asked and was shocked when I got no results.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Woody,
    Sounds to me like the adhesive from the gasket has bled through or some sauce has gotten on the gasket surface (another reason I'm glad I don't have one.) You could isolate the area or problem by putting a doubled layer of aluminum foil around the lid next time you close it. Then when you go to open it the next time you'll find the issue.
    Regardless, sounds like you have some cleaning to do (and gasket replacement if you want one.
    Kent Madison MS
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Gasket replacement or go gasketless. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Big Porkbutt
    Options
    I've got a large and only once had this problem. I didn't have to do it but I know what will work. Sprinkle some baby powder in your hand and use you fingers or small brush to wipe a thin coating around the gasket, top and bottom.  I guarantee this will work. Baby powder is only talc ground very fine, so even if a small amount found it's way onto your beer butt chicken, you wouldn't die from it. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Baby powder is only talc ground very fine, so even if a small amount found it's way onto your beer butt chicken, you wouldn't die from it. 

And the chicken skin would be so soft...   :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Woody54,
    I wouldn't be screwing around with a messed up gasket like that.  That's not normal or common.  I would highly recommend removing that gasket and replacing it with one that will last for many years without issue.  The Rutland gasket is rock solid and can handle high heat temps. Apply the gasket  I removed my crappy original one about 6 month ago and installed a Rutland.  I can now do 800 degree temps or higher (if I want to) with no issue. Love it!

Details here on the installation:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1069873&catid=1#

Packerland, Wisconsin

• llrickman
    Options
    Baby powder is only talc ground very fine, so even if a small amount found it's way onto your beer butt chicken, you wouldn't die from it. 

And the chicken skin would be so soft...   :D

lmao

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • subrostud
    Options
    ChokeOnSmoke:
    Been frustrated with the BGE gaskets. Seems like they fail every 6 mo here in CA. Did you use the 1"?
    Did you obtain it mail order or are there retailers?
  • subrostud
    Options
    Well, I went to Kragen, bought Permatex copper, went to Ace, bought the $37 high heat BGE gasket, also bought the 4" wire paint remover attachment for my DeWalt, and now the new gasket is curing. Cooking spare ribs for 4 hrs at 250 F tomorrow with Micheal Chiarello's espresso rib sauce. Can't wait.

I'll let you know how long this BGE hi temp gasket lasts, but if it cr*ps out like the normal BGE, I'm goin' Rutland.

Thanks for the tip.

Subrostud
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Subrostud,
    I used the 5/8" FLAT.
    Check the link I posted above for details.
    While on the old EGG website, search for a member named RRP (his name is Ron).  He will sell you the Rutland gasket size you need for your egg.  Great guy to work with and only $13 bucks!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options

Thanks everyone

• Leedog
    Options
    Mine done the same thing after a couple of years went to my local BGE dealer and bought a new gasket haven't had any trouble sense.