Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First long slow cook questions

jasperga
jasperga Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggers -- I'm doing my first low slow cook tomorrow -- 1/2 of a Boston Butt (the top half) -- should be about 5 lbs -- using DD rub

I have practiced temp control with my Stoker and StokerLog -- I plan on cooking at 250 degrees using Hickory wood -- I have small lumps and also chips

I have a few specific questions:

1) After cleaning my BGE I will load with lump. How should I put the Hickory wood in my load?

2) To inject or not to inject? I have the receipe given in the BGE cookbook but is it worth it?

3) Should I "mist" my BB during the cook? If so, What should I mist it with?

4) Anyone predict how long this cook will take to reach final temp?

Thanks

jasperga

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you are using chips, it is very easy to scatter them all thru the lump. Chunks can be problematic, but if you have a couple that are big enough, just put them in the center on top. They will last thru most of the cook.

I have not found much value in injecting butts. Most of the fluid just seeps right back out. Picnics and hams hold more, and seem to benefit. Just my opinion.

Butts need no misting, spritzing of mopping.

The rule of thumb, and it is a very fat thumb, is that butts take between 1.5 - 2 hours per pound. Yours is rather small, and will *probably* be in the shorter part of the range. Beware the "turbo" butt that gets done in less than an hour per pound.
  • jth
    jth Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I am cooking my first Boston butt this weekend and need a good receipe and any hints/tricks I should be aware of. Would appreciate a couple good receipes. Thanks.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Jth,
    Try using the Search function. There have been a couple of detailed instructions on butt cooks on here within the last few days.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Definitely an Echo !!  :D
  • harrisbuck
    harrisbuck Posts: 21
    edited August 2011

I would not inject.  It's a waste of time imo.  I like to mist with apple juice every hour or so.  Some like to mix apple cider vinegar but I hate the smell of that stuff.  Apple juice works great for me.

I would start your smoke at around 200-225 max.  You're not in a hurry.  Low and slow is still the best advice I can give. 

Good luck!

• Great educational information for cooking butts can be found in article by ElderWard on the Naked Whiz site:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    If you reach food temp in less than 7 hours I would check the probe location, Bone and fat can read higher than the meat.
    Mop if you want if it makes you feel good it won't hurt anything but is not needed.
    I injected once and most came right out, like a leaking water balloon.
    I would cook at 210(measured near the meat or 230 on dome) until you hit 175 on food probe and then raise temp to 250 to get meat to 200.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.