Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vanilla - Flavourless and easily one of the worst of the worst forum software

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited August 2011 in Forum Feedback
Sorry guys. While I love the community here, I hate the forum software and the big white screen that kills my eyes at night. It's not just the look though but the whole feel of it. I read many, many forums from everything to do with BBQ to Photography, Pachinko to Android to Coffee and many more in between.... all much better software packages and none are vanilla. Although a big supporter, I really wasn't a big fan of the previous and original EggheadForum software but this is awful and I almost miss the old format. It could have been such a big step forward had you just chosen one of the several really good packages out there, but vanilla blows. I may come back form time to time to see the posts of the old crew but other than that, I'm out.... I do however love my Big Green Egg though and that won't change!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ill be watching this one and the original one, im sure they fix this one up over time, the bright lights are hard to read at night, im sure they get to it in time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    The old one is still there with the same family atmosphere. Can't post the link here, but you can find it on some older posts here. I follow both and am being patient, hoping they will improve this one. Advantages and disadvantages to both.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I won't badmouth either forum just that this one is not for me, I just pop in to see if there are any changes. The old one is at greeneggers.com and if anyone over there asks I will post the link to this one.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2011
    Options
    nm

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BigBadger
    Options
    @V.I. - The vaguaries of your posts leave it open to suppose many differring avenues of thought. I am going to suppose you mean my own post starting this thread and if I'm incorrect please clarify.

If you notice, this forum area is about "Forum Feeback". My post is feedback about the forum and of my own opinion. And with regard to your comment about "people not givving a f..... what others think".... then why ever post at all? Suppose someone did not give an "f" about pork or beef but still love the egg... do their posts not have value and does someone maybe actually give and "f" about what they think?

If you notice, there has been a really big split here in the forums and neither forum, even combined have the numbers that previously were being seen. I think that is a real shame and a significant loss for the BGE community at large. If you don't care about that then that's fine... but I would imagine others may care.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2011
    Options
    And, notice I deleted my post before you added yours.

I will say that constructive criticism is good and, I'm sure, welcome.  But threats of "I'm not coming back" typically evokes a "who cares?" attitude.  That was the gist of my former note, but admittedly, it was in bad taste.  My apologies.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    bigbadger

i think its just going to take some time for the dust to settle, seems there is still some bad blood on both forums but its also quickly drying up and people are either sticking with one, or watching both, and some will leave. there will always be some that stir the pot but not much you can do about that, village idiot, thats not against you, i have no idea what you posted
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigBadger
    edited August 2011
    Options
    @ V.I. - Thank you. I only noticed the deletion of your post 1/2 hr. later. I have no ill feelings toward anyone here.

@ fishlessman - I agree and I hope the dust settles quickly and we all pitch in and clean up a bit afterward. Maybe 2 forums won't be so bad. Just seemed a shame to break it up without much input from the powers that be, such as it was.

I still stand by my statement regarding my lack of enthusiasm toward the Vanilla software. It seems evident that the software has been installed without much tweaking, which is what I suspected. I took a breather today and read a fair bit about Vanilla. Though it's a far shot from being vbulletin, ipboard or Xenforo with some tweaks and plugins.. and some effort on behalf of the forum admin it can be a close runner-up. I will keep my eye looking here periodically, hoping for some improvement.

Thanks for making me look at this from a differing perspective.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I found the Vanilla site too and thought it looked pretty good. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat