Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about smoking salmon...

Options
BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Did some fishing during a recent vacation and I have about a 2.5lb landlocked atlantic salmon (read: white flesh, not pink) that I would like to smoke.

I'm planning on brining it with a simple salt/sugar/rosemary mixture for a few hours and smoking with alder wood; couple of questions though.

First, should i "cold smoke" or "hot smoke" the fish. Do i need the paint can set up for cold smoking? Will hot smoking get me the flavor/texture i want? FYI, i have a large BGE.

Second, the fish is a 'bit' small for filleting in my opinion. Am I okay to smoke the fish whole (minus the head and tail)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    What flavor/texture are you wanting? Flakey like cooked fish? Firm like Lox? Smoking the fish whole seems you will be leaving your smoke flavor on the skin. More details will help
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    i guess i'm looking for a texture that "flakes" off in pieces, not something that is oily like lox. good point about leaving the flavor on the skin...i'm just worried about ruining a smaller fish by trying to fillet it--not exactly a pro at that.