Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Rib Racks can you fit?

Risingjay
Risingjay Posts: 19
edited August 2011 in Pork
Yes, first post here and LOVE my Large egg! Got it mid December of 2010 after the wife begged me for it. But you all are the ones that convinced me so a BIG BIG THANK YOU to everyone that posts! She had to go out of town for work and her bosses husband cooked a beer can chicken and the rest is history.

Alright, so I did 3 racks of baby backs Sunday on the V-rack using the 2-2-1 methond (not 3-2-1 since they were baby backs) and they turned out incredible! WOW! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Mmmmm....Mmm.. Mm. I have a neiborhood rib cook off the 28th of this month and would like to cook up maybe 9 racks of ribs. Is there a way to do this?

I was thinking of taking out my fire ring, inserting the plate setter, putting my three tier grill in but only using two grills, putting the v-rack in between the post for the 3-tier grill, and then using another v-rack on top. So all in all I should be able to cook 11 racks of ribs vertically. One slot of the bottom v-rack is used up by the 3-tier post. Will this work or will my food be to close to the fire and dry out the meat?

If there are other suggestions please comment.

Jason

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i would not remove my fire ring! the egg tapers as it gets closer to the bottom and i would be cautious of expansion... i have seen 20 or so racks on a large. but i have no idea who has that picture it may be the naked whiz. but i am not sure.. sorry i am no more help :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• pmnhsn5
    pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
    Sounds like you are in a friendly neighborhood cook off. A cook off probably isn't the time to experiment. You want them to turn out well so I wouldn't push it by trying to do that many this time. I can do six nicely with my AR and spider and still keep the firering in. I am able to keep them all flat and spaced well which I think allows them to cook more evenly. Good Luck
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think I would just put 6 racks in a rib rack and then lay three racks perpendicular across the top of the other racks. If you want to create a little more space you could always set some kind of grid between them (like use one of your 3 tier grids and just lay it across the ribs).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dbruce
    dbruce Posts: 1
    I used my 3 tier on the platesetter legs up. I cut the baby backs into thirds for better space management and easier serving. I got 8 racks laying flat. I think I could have fit one more small rack it I wanted.

I attached a pic but not sure if I am doing this new thang right!

db
    ribs.jpg 987.5K
  • I bought the adj. rig with the sliding system and extender (among other accessories from the Ceramic Grill Store) and I can fit 9 racks flat with no touching. I know I can do a lot more if I got creative and didn't mind them touching and not flat.
  • That's great! 8-9 racks using the 3 tier or the sliding system, I think I can live with that. Maybe I can convince the wife that we need another egg for next year.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I can't seem to find the photo but Chef Wil from Lafayette, LA did 20 racks on his large Egg about 8 or 9 years ago, long before all the new gadgets that offer more flexiblilty in cooking lots of food.

Spring "Lots Is Not Always Enough" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    Can someone please tell me the width for a large green egg pizza stone. I think they may have sold me a medium instead of a large.
  • divr71, it's 14".
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    Spring Chicken, your wish is my command:

The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Thanks. I saved it again for next time.

Spring "Lost And Lost Again Department" Chicken