Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE app

Options
Oakville Egg
Oakville Egg Posts: 27
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Hey,
There are 430000 apps from the apple appstore but zero Big Green Egg apps. Someone could get on that and make a few bucks.

Comments

• DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    What would you want it to do? Would it be just recipes? Links to the forum(s)?

I've been wanting to start writing some iPad apps but you must have an apple computer to do the development. Unfortunately funds are a little too tight right now to go purchase another computer...
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    If you have an iPad or iPhone you can bring up this site using Safari, then just touch the box with the arrow in it to give you choices as to what you can do with the site. Select Add to Home Screen and it will create an easy to open bookmark on your screen. From there you can easily access the entire Egghead Forum site and the recipe section.

Spring "IPad Therefore I Am" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    Options
    Things like this should be free in my opinion. BGE already nickels and dimes everyone to death on add-ons.
  • pmnhsn5
    pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
    Options
    A Stoker Log app for my android phone would be awesome but I guess that would have to come from the developers of the Stoker Log.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    edited August 2011
    Options
    A friend looked into having a marathon-training app developed. $30,000 or so. Hard to recoup that expenditure at $.99 per App! :-((
  • Reflib
    Reflib Posts: 16
    Options
    Got tired cooking in volumes (especially baking!) so I do all I can in weights now - eg. 1 1/2 cups of ketchup weighs 450 grams. Try working accurately with a recipe using volumes of butter or something sticky like molasses. Sure saves a lot of mucking about with dirty measuring cups and spoons. I have an inexpensive electronic scale and a pal gave me an old fine balance scale so I can even do herbs and things for my rubs by weight. It's the way to reproduceable results!

The iPhone app I use all the time for these conversions is 'Kitchen Calculator Pro' http://www.kitchencalculator.net/ . Best $4.00 purchase yet. The USDA also has a great website for converting volume of ingredients to weights at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html - you can use this database to add ingredients to the app you use a lot eg. hoisin sauce

The other iPhone app I use all the time is a unit converter as I work in metric and most recipes in North America use Imperial. eg. 1.5 pints is a mystery to me but I can work with 710 ml. There are a whole lot of these converter apps from which to choose.

So my iPhone has become a very important cooking tool.
    Right here is the Promised Land. Right now is the Golden Age.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Not sure about the app... but I agree with reflib... I recently started going to weights on some recipes, charcuterie for sure, and the others are just sort of what looks good. Makes it a lot easier to tare out the scale and add an ingredient.

I will have to look up that kitchen calculator app... sounds like I could use on of those.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com