Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Faster on my Droid

FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've never really posted all that much, but I will say this new format is much faster than the original forum when using my phone ....just sayin' :-"

Comments

• Incidentally, the Original Forum is looking into the speed issue. Probably they could have looked into it earlier had they had any significant financial backing from BGE. Just sayin' :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I'm not knocking the original forum...been hanging out there for the last 3 1/2 years. I'm not necessarily a fan of this format either. Like anyone else, change is seldom comfortable. I was just making an objective comment that this forum loads much faster when I'm using my phone.

FWIW, I hate to think that all of this change is going to result in a fractured customer base. I've learned so much over the years from other eggheads, I really hope that when all the dust settles we don't lose such a great resource.

fc
  • Gotcha.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Frank,

from day one I have found this forum posts, submit edits noticeably faster. Not sure if it is a bandwidth difference, software performance, database structure or what.

GG
  • GG, absolutely. That's the one good thing you can say about this place.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    It's interesting to me how much people complain about opening windows in classic view, however, in this linear view it seems to me there is just as much roller wheel scrolling and mouse clicking with this format. There will always be the loss on congruity with this format.

It seems to me that the classic view style is what keeps the dedicated folks interest. At first the newer people are just looking for answers and it takes a while before they see the people factor.

• GG, good observation. It is indeed a tradeoff between clicking on posts (which wouldn't be as painful if the classic forum gets some more speed) and wearing out the wheel on your mouse as you scroll around madly trying to make sense of it all.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    A while back in classic views I began using the 'Ctrl+left click' opening the comments in a new tab. The move would have all the responses in order in a tab to the right of the main screen. I would just move to the right to read the comment, respond if I wanted and when done, on my mouse, roller click would close the tab.

I could get through viewing the posts in about 40% of the time it took before.

If all the posting that went on over there were here these topics would be so long there would be no way to make much sense out of anything.

The topic order jumping is a bit disconcerting also. I am not sure if there is a way to turn it off or not.
  • By topic order jumping, do you mean having the latest updated post always move to the top? I use it that way on the Original Forum. That way I can follow things as they are updated.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Yup. I think I would like to be able to turn that off and on. However, in this format I am not sure which way would be best.