Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Ups

Options
T-47
T-47 Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked some tri tip steaks tonight, I let the temp get up to 600 and put them on, I had quite a bit of flame...am I doing something wrong? I had the top off and the bottom door open to let the temp climb. Do I need to let it sit longer and the flame will drop off? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Comments

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' T-47,
    When you get to your desired temp. replace the daisy wheel. It will stabilize the temp. adjust the wheel as necessary.
    bruce

• T-47
    Options
    badbruce, I guess what I am asking is at high temps will there always be flames....is that just something to learn to deal with, or when I am cooking at 600 degrees or higher, will the flames eventually drop off, and then I put the meat on? I had replaced the daisy wheel prior to starting my cook, and closed the bottom door about 1/4 of the way but I still had quite a bit of flames shooting up through the grill.
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi T-47,
    Tell me your set-up. When did you get flames, when you opened the lid?
    bruce

• T-47
    Options
    badbruce,
    I filled up the charcoal ring (I have been putting fresh coals in to top it off every cook) and used a couple fire starter cubes to get it going. I had the bottom door open and the daisy wheel off. When it got to 600, I opened it up to put the meat on and there were flames coming up from the center to the back. I stirred the coals and closed it for a few minutes until it got to 600 again. I still had flames coming up, mostly at the back. I was cooking a lot of meat so I had to put some back there. I just moved it back and forth from back to front so it would not burn. It is something I can work around...the meat was awesome...I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong to get it to flame up? Could it be the BGE charcoal? I was just curious. I am getting the raised grid this week, I had the same thing happen with some chicken last week, but I thought that was do to the fat dripping down, so I was hoping the raised grid might help.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    T-47, You have an old habit to break. Do not stir the coals. Try it next time. The flames will die almost as soon as you put the daisy wheel back on.
  • T-47
    Options
    sigmore,
    Very good, I will give that a try, Thanks