Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Misaligned Large Egg in Nest with Handler

Rugger88
Rugger88 Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a new Large Egg for a week. Just noticed the bottom vent will not slide open all the way it hits up against one of the legs on the nest, the men who delivered it apparently didn't align this correctly. Read all the instructions and looked at the bands/handler, etc. I can't figure out which parts I actually have to loosen to rotate the bottom part of the egg about 4 inches but keep everything else aligned. Any help appreciated I am not too handy with this kind of stuff.

Comments

• TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    Only thing I know of would be to get some help and lift the egg out of the nest enough to turn it the direction it needs to go.
  • Ah were it so easy. The handler is attached to both the egg and the nest. If I disconnect the egg from the handler and rotate, then it won't line up to bolt it back to the handler.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    seems to me that the handler is bolted to the hinge or the band, therefore the bolt on the bottom band would need to be loosened enough to rotate the bottom of the egg.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Rugger88, You will need to take the two nuts off from the handler that fix the handler to the hinge. Move the two brackets out of the way. You will need to move the egg in the nest. If you are a strong person you could take out the fire ring and fire box. Now with the dome open and nothing else in the egg carefully put the egg in the correct position in the nest (this may take two people). If you have to you may need to remove the dome first by carefully taking the bands loose from the dome and pull the dome off the base. Now be careful not to raise the top band and move the base in the correct position. Then reassemble your egg in the nest to the handler.

You may want to get the dealer to come over and help you because you don't want to drop you dome or damage anything. Plus you will need to reset you dome correctly on the base. Don't forget to do a dollar bill test... :unsure: :blink:

I can do it all myself but, the dealer should have set it up correctly for you in the first place. I say get the dealer to come over to help you. :( Tim
  • WingRider nailed it.

Loosen the bottom band and rotate the base of the Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    wiJaffe, Did you get your egg turned in the nest? How did you do it? Tim
    B-)
  • I tried suggestions (sort of) but it seems as if I would have to take everything apart. The dealer contacted BGE after I sent them pics. The local rep is coming over today to fix it apparently. Will let you know.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i'm with smitty and wingrider

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Walter just came and fixed it in about 20 minutes. Disconnected the handle on the handler from the egg where it attaches to the hinge. Then he loosened the tightening bolts that keep the upper and lower bands tight. Then he rotated the egg to the proper position, tightened the bolts and reattached handle. Thanks Walter!