Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp controllers

normzach
normzach Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
kinda new at all this. need a short tutorial on how temp controllers work

from the south of Maryland

thanks

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Naked Whiz's site.
  • faithie999
    faithie999 Posts: 98
    in a nutshell, a process controller of any type relies on a measurement device and another device that causes the measured variable to be modified, plus a control box that tells the control device what to do.

specifically, a temp controller for a bge relies on a temperature probe that measures the dome temperature, a fan that modulates the air input to the firebox, and a control box that compares the dome temp with the desired temp (the set point that you choose) and decides when to turn the fan on and off. when the dome temp is below the set point, the fan runs, and when the temp is above the set point, the fan stops.

this is exactly analagous to how the thermostat in your house works to control when your furnace is on or off.

ken
  • normzach
    Thanks,

I figured that. My real qustion was a physical one which I answered while at the local egg people. Saw how it fits and works.

Also looked at nakewhiz to see what she has to say.

Thanks
  • However they work, I love mine; LOL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    normzach, above you said "which I answered".  A bit confusing.  You asked a question and then answered???

If you don't have an answer be more specific and we can help you.  General how it's work, how the different ones compare to one another, specifications or whatever you are trying to find out.

At we all (the guys anyway)  all hope but sorry, naked whiz isn't the kind of naked anyone of us would want to see - sorry Doug.

GG

• normzach

Doug,

Sometimes Grandpa isn't very articulate. My question about temp controllers was more form and fit with the egg than technical. During my recent trip to an egg distributor, they had one on display with probes, wires and control box hooked up to a plastic turkey, which gave me an idea how it all works.  

Next question/decision is should I or should I not invest in a controller.

Have a great day.

A  grandpa in the south of Maryland.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Norm,

Just to add a little more info...here are the reviews on the TNW site:

They all work pretty much on the same principal like ken said.  There is some kind of fan that connects to the lower draft door, a temperature sensor, and the controller.  Light the fire, hook up the fan, clip the sensor inside the egg, then "set it and forget it" (usually!).

That's the basic principal, then some come with many more bells and whistles.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    normzach,

Some controllers have one probe, pit only, and other controllers have two probes, pit and food.  A blower with the correct adapter hooks onto the lower vent with a power cable going into the control box.

If only one probe that probe will hook on the grate or on the stem of the dome thermometer. The probe reads the temperature and sends the reading to the control box, in turn the control box analyses the reading and if needed sends power to the blower which pushes air into the vent and up to the lump.  The single, less expensive units will keep the egg at a given temperature until you either run out of lump or you turn it off.

The models with two or more probes will do as above for the pit and also a probe for the meat.  The pit probe and blower works as above.  However, with the addition of the meat probe that temperature is also sent to the control box and read.  The control box has more information in the 'computer' which may sense if the dome is open for a few minutes or may read the meat temperature and when the meat gets to target temperature it will automatically lower the temperature of the lump somewhat like a keep warm feature which is referred to as a ramp feature.

Should you get one...  well that depends on you.  The egg is capable controlling the temperature on it's own.  The controller (powered vent system) gives the user a little more security and usually a better night's sleep.

There is a difference in the features of the units available which is another topic all together.

If you decide not to invent in a PVS (powered vent system) I would suggest you pick up a Maverick ET-373 which will monitor, transmit the temperature and set off an alarm of your cook.  The egg does the work of keeping the temperature stable and the ET-373 alarms you when food is getting to the done stage or when the egg is above or below your target cook temperatures.  If I use my DigiQII I also use the ET-373 so I have remote monitoring.  If I use my stoker I use a WIFI and computer or any device that will access a browser window to monitor the cook.

GG