Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vietnamese style baby back ribs

bostonjosh
bostonjosh Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night's cook... a Steven Raichlen recipe:

Overnight marinade with lemongrass, garlic, shallots, ginger, chilis, cilandro, fish sauce, and more... then final serving topped with cilantro and chopped peanuts.

Very good! Totally different flavor than the traditional prep.

IMG_0329.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looks spectacular. What book is that recipe in. Thanks for sharing.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks great. I've seen that recipe before and been curious. If I remember correctly it doesn't call for using any smoke? Did you follow that or did you add some wood chips/chunks?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. Great book; on my second copy -- the first fell apart from overuse.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    They look incredible! Anything with lemongrass, chilis and garlic gets me going.

I have that book and will give it a go. Thanks
  • I didn't add chips/chunks. I definitely thought about it... (how could i do a 5-6hr rib cook without smoke? how could i do so and still call myself an egghead? :) )

But i decided to trust the recipe, and i'm glad i did. i think the smoke would have tampered with the taste, and i have to say these ribs were BURSTING with flavor. I also considered adding soaked loose tea (i've never done this, but it seemed appropriate for the recipe). anyway, as i said, in the end it wasn't necessary.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Those look delicious! I have seen that recipe too and thought about making it. I could never get away from my go to baby back recipe. I might have to give that a try now.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    looks wonderful and there is a nice smoke ring there even with out the chips or chunks. we hardly ever add anything extra and still get nice color and flavor.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    He's got a show on our PBS station here and I believe all his recipes are on his website, if you don't want to buy the book.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    It's kind of funny; I have watched his show, and now that I have my egg it is somewhat humorous to me that he always has about 20 grills/smokers going all in the background, but he doesn't have a single egg! I guess he doesn't know what he's missing.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing...il definitely giventhisnone a shot
  • jzcc
    jzcc Posts: 123
    Those ribs look delicious! I have his book and see that it calls for a 1-1/2 hour indirect cook. What was your set up and did you cook for that length of time or the usual 5 or so hours? Thanks.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    bostonjosh: Great cook! I am a total junkie for all those flavors! Have lemongrass, tamarind, thai chiles, and kaffir lime growing in my yard so I never have to be without! Great cook, and I used to have that cookbook! (DANG! Gave it to a guy that was new to grilling! :angry: ) Great flavors, and I will have to do some experimenting. Thanks for posting.
  • I did the 3-1-1 cook @250; can't go wrong with that.

Other than that, the only thing I changed was, in the last hour, I sprayed the ribs periodically with a mix of vinegar, honey, and sugar. I did this b/c they didn't quite have that browned/caramelized look that they usually do, probably b/c of lack of smoke. That seemed to do the trick.