Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Fresh Ham- What to do with it???

probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a couple fresh hams in the freezer just beggin to be thawed and egged. was thinking of brining one of them. The other one I'm not for sure what to do with it. Any one have any sudgestion on a brine and what to do with the other one????????

Comments

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    For your second fresh ham, you may want to try ham in bread dough...

We use a light rye, but you could use whatever you'd like.
    DSC03167.jpg

Wrap ham with the bread dough...
    DSC03169.jpg

Place on egg - pizza stone.
    DSC03172.jpg

Cook at 350 until done.

The ham stays moist, the bread absorbs any drippings, you're guests will be fighting over the bread all night.

Michael
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    I cook mine like pulled pork. Slow cooked with a dry rub and then pull as PP sammies. Be careful though, because it is not a butt it will not plateau like the BB or the shoulder.
    The last one I smoked was 22 1/2 llbs and it took 24 1/2 hours to smoke it, but it was eggcellent. :P
  • probie
    probie Posts: 102
    That looks great!! what kind of rub did you use on the ham before you wrapped it up??
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    S&P - nothing fancy - but you could use what ever you wanted.

The best hand in bread dough we had was with Birkshire ham. If you ever
    get a chance, I'd recommend that you try it.

Michael
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    probie: You say fresh fresh, so I guess it is safe to assume this is just pork, the cut being the ham. Have you tried your hand at curing yet? How about turning the fresh ham (the cut) into a home cured ham?