Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whats up with this brisket?

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
lit the egg 5 hrs ago, pulled the brisket from the fridge trimmed it up a little and rubbed it with elder wards recipe had the dome temp at 250 an hour later and put the brisket on. thought the egg was stable and didn't check it for about an hour it had gotten to 280. No big deal it should be about 250 at the grid. Dampered the lower vent to only about 1/8 of an inch(it was never more than a 1/4 inch). [p]I didn't put the remote probe in untill just a few minutes ago and it says 177. I hit a different spot same thing. This is my second brisket, the first went just about as quick but that was the five hour brisket, you know the one that gets wrapped in foil.[p]Any way the probe didn't slide in easy or any thing so there's no way its done but i double checked my recipes and all of them say 225 to 250 grid temp and anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes a lb. this a 10 lb packer and only been on for 4 hours!![p]What gives? at this rate it looks like i will need to pull it in an hour if it doesn't slow down![p]Scott

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    eggor,
    I've has a brisket jump up like that before after a spike in dome temp only to level off and stay in a two degree band for several hours. Sit tight and keep an eye on it. The only suggestion I have is maybe bring the temp down to 210 (grill level). Joe

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eggor,[p]I agree with SmokinJoe, you have to render it tender or even the drippings will be tough. Get the grate temp down to 190° or so, monitor your thermometer, and ride it out. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]well, i closed the bottom vent to the point to where i can't slip a dime through(hope i don't kill the fire). Temp fell down to 170 so it must have hit a platue, its been sittin there for a little while but is starting to climb again. Guess i'll get the beans started and work on the potato salad and hope that sucker hits another platue.[p]Scott