Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicem Skin

Options
Fishbucket
Fishbucket Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey,

I'm brining a 4 lb farm fresh chicken and tomorrow I plan to cook it off low and slow with some hickory. Would smoking a chicken make the skin more or less crispy ? I suppose I could increase the heat for the last 30 minutes to crisp it up. Any suggestions or comments ?

Thanks........

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have found that i have to cook my chicken(whole-spatchcocked or parts, around 390 degrees and high as i can get them in the dome... And low and slow along with smoke will produce a rubbery skin...
  • Fishbucket
    Options
    I think you're probably right. Although I do a chicken in the oven at 275 with a heavy coating of salt and pepper and it crisps up really well. I think the smoke will keep the skin soft if not rubbery as you mentioned so I'll leave it out. Reason I ask is around here a a farm fresh chicken if like 5$ a pound and I'd hate to ruin it right out of the gate.

Thanks,

Frank
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    If you want crispy skin cook at higher heat 350-400. You can still add wood chunks to the lump just before you throw the chicken on. The chicken will pick up smoke flavor. Another trick I use for crisp skin is to put the chicken on a tray in the fridge uncovered. The skin will dry out and become translucent, if you have time this works well. Good luck.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I like to cook mine at 375º legs up, till the breast hits 165º

DSC_5392.jpg
  • Fishbucket
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have been air drying in the frig and will add wood chunks and cook at 375.