Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

how do I keep my butt warm?

back2grillinback2grillin Posts: 27
edited 8:18AM in EggHead Forum
Smoked 2 beautiful pork butts overnight@ 250 dome temp. Done in 9 hours. They were each 6 1.5 lbs. Anyway, I was hoping to pull a few hours later. So it is breakfast time, the butts are triple wrapped in HDAF, in n newspaper, and beach towels in a warm cooler with a little apple juice. I was planning on shredding around lunch, but friends are coming for dinner, 8 hours from now. Do I still shred in 4 hours and crock pot the meat? Any adive would be appreciated. (I pulled the butts off@ 195 internal temp.)
·

Comments

• Turn on your seat warmer? :laugh:

But seriously, I have wrapped a brisket in hd foil and stuck it in a 175* oven for 6 hours w/o any problems. See what temp your oven sits at on warm and try that.
    ·
  • Would leave in Cooler for roughly 4 hours then over to warm over if easily done, dont pull until later.

Truth be told Ive coolered longer than 4hrs on more than a few occasions with no issues.
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
    ·
  • Would you add some liquid to wrap packet? The oven won't dry it out?
    ·
  • Planned on cooler time to be 4 hours, then crock pot, but if the oven is a better way, then I will try that, it shouldn't dry it out?
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Keep it out of the "Danger Zone." Either keep it warm enough or cold enough. It's all explained in detail here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/How_Temperatures_Affect_Food.pdf and there are no short cuts or cheating the facts. I know I'm not much help but food poisoning is serious. I know, been there done that and it was from a sub I had just bought, not something I had made or stored.

Better safe then SORRY!!!

Blair

·
  • Crock should be fine on low with some juice may even be better than the oven. Have never tested the difference.
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
    ·