Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering selling the BGE XL...

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello--

With hopes that I won't be blasted with "how could you?" comments and other thoughts I have been considering selling my BGE. Since moving from MN to CO I don't have any yard, deck or place to store my BGE and it currently stays at a relatives unused. If I had a place to use it I wouldn't even consider selling it at the time but I'm not sure how long before we move to a better location to have it.

That being the said, I am curious what a fair price to expect is. Here's what I've got:

-BGE XL
-DigiQ II (10cfm)
-2 full sets of stone (the original XL set and then a brand new set that have the new style to accomodate drip pans, etc.)
-XL Nest
-XL cover
-Pizza stone
-Wooden egg mates

I remember paying $1100 for the BGE Kit and then purchased the digiQ separately as well as the pizza stone. The unit is in great shape and in my opinion it's a steal having to sets of stones as well.

I'm not yet 100% committed to selling but want to put some feelers out to see if it financially would be worth breaking up with the egg (for now, not forever!).

:unsure:

Thanks,
John

Comments

• meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Would you be interested in selling the digiq II on here and ship it to me? I would be interested in a buy for the right price. Email me at meat03man@hotmail.com
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Is there no one you can give cooking custody of the egg until you get settled? ...Just a thought. Bummer having to sell the egg.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Don't you just hate it when life gives you those kinds of twists and turns?

Just keep in mind that even with all the nice extra gear the buyer won't be getting the lifetime warranty. That's worth a lot. In fact, the new buyer can't even purchase the warranty separately for a used Egg. That means the price will have to be very attractive.

Personally, I would continue to store the Egg and equipment until your life settles down then take it with you wherever you go to next.

But if it's "because I really could use the money" then you will have to make that decision.

Depending on where you live the price could swing high or low. If you were here in Houston I'd go maybe $800 without even seeing it. I'm sure there's someone out there who could up the amount.

Good luck.

Spring "Nobody Ever Has Enough Eggs" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Barring the previously mentioned "you need the money", or your relative no longer being willing to store it, I would keep it if I were you. As it is now, the cost has already been absorbed into your finances, and you have all of the toys to go with it. You'll lose money when you first sell it, and you'll lose money again, when you go to buy again, simply because the price is only going up on the eggs.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Bummer it has to go, but sometimes things dont work out. I would say post it at 900-1000 and see what happens. People go crazy for bge's and I have seen bidding wars happen over larges in my area that went for pretty much retail price. Good luck, and I hope you are able to get back into an egg sooner rather than later.
  • I'm in total agreement with Shed Farm...Keep it 'till you can't! I would not let go of it easily. Keep it kickin' and screaming! It doesn't take up much space, it doesn't talk back, and it doesn't require diaper changes. Keep it until life settles down. JMO!
  • Thanks for the tips guys. Money isn't really a big factor in it for now--more just the fact that I hate to see it go unused for such an extended amount of time. I hadn't considered anything about the warranty stuff--so that's a good consideration to think of. I had purchased this in cash back in 2008 so it's not really costing me any money to keep around and the relative doesn't care that it's there. Meat03Man, to answer your question, If I sell it I'll be selling the stuff as a unit, not parted out. Sorry--but thanks for the interest.
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Hey I understand. But thanks anyways if you change your mind you have my info I can send payment through paypal. But good luck either way with keeping or selling the egg.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Considering what you paid for it and what you might sell it for, and what it would cost to replace in the future, I don't think selling it makes sense. You lose money on the sale and end up (maybe) paying more for the replacement egg than the original. Unless the dollars are needed, keep it. You have a nice egg and associated toys. Just MHO.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    My large was $1200, with the stand, wings, lump, starter and delivery, recently.

So, your set up would be sweet.

What might need fixed, under the warranty?

I bet it would go quick on Craig's List.
  • Amy,

I can't think of much that would ever be needed with the warranty. The fact that I have two sets of stones would be quite helpful to anyone who is interested in it.

Back to contemplating...

:whistle:
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    When you say you don't have much of a yard, do you mean you have no yard? or not much to speak of? Do you have enough area for a medium? or small? Maybe you could sell it and trade over to an egg with a smaller foot print.

I love my large.

T
  • T--

We have no yard where we are. It's a large town home complex and the driveways are short and sloped with the only section that I could even consider using being directly under a wooden deck. So that's a no go...the grass behind the building is a hill as well and I wouldn't feel right about having the egg run for 12+ hours where any random person or kid could walk up to it.

I'd consider downsizing if it made sense but at this point I feel like SOL until we move in the next year most likely.

Thanks,
    John