Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt for Tailgate

Options
Albert Eggstein
Albert Eggstein Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tailgating at the Braves game tomorrow and I have a frozen Boston Butt from last week. I'm assuming if I use a drip pan that I can just put the frozen butt onto the Egg at around 230-250. As it thaws in the Egg it will add to the juices of the final product. Has anybody tried this? This is my first Butt and I need it to be perfect as it is the main food at the tailgate.

It is a 9 lb Butt so timing wise what am I looking at? It will be an all nighter so a little nervous about keeping my heat perfect. Also, where can I get a good meat thermometer and should I pull it from the Egg at 200 internal?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm still new at this.

Comments

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    I have never tried or heard of cooking a frozen pork butt. I think it would extend your cooking time by quite a bit. I would thaw the butt, then put it on. Thats a good target internal temp. People on here say that timewise you are looking at 1.5-2 hours per pound while having a 250 dome temp. A good meat thermometer for long cooks is the maverick et 732. You should also invest in an Instant Read Thermapen by thermoworks. You should meet up with ATLegger. He is tailgating at the game tomorrow too, except he'd doing ribs! Hope this helps
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I wouldn't put a frozen but on the egg.

Pull it out rinse well in cold water to jump start the thawing process the put it in the fridge.

May have to thaw some more in a microwave

Alternative: Leave it in the freezer and pick up a fresh one

Stabilize your egg at 250 dome 16 hours (plus drive time) before game. Rub and put it on the egg and let it do its magic. After putting it on the stabilized egg, the dome temp will drop because of the introduction of the cold mass. Don't adjust the vents - you have a 250 fire and the dome temp will come back.

Pull around 190-200. If you don't have a thermo (you really need to get one) wiggle the bone - if it is real loose, it's done.

Double wrap in HDAF, put in a cooler, cover with a couple towels and head out to the game. You can hold it for 4-5 hours in a cooler just so long as the temp in the butt stays above 140. Preheating the cooler with hot tap water works.

Good luck with it an enjoy the game
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I have cooked with frozen Butts before, and they come out fine. Depending on your freezer temp, it's really just a 20 to 40 degree colder starting temp.

It will take longer, but I would guess only by 1-3 hours. Why thaw it in the microwave when you can thaw it in the egg?
  • Albert Eggstein
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've decided to leave this one frozen and pick up a fresh one this morning. I already hit up my Egg dealer for large wood chunks and a digital pocket thermometer.

We are leaving for the game at 3pm tomorrow. The butt is almost 9 lbs. What time should it be put on the Egg tonight?

Thanks for all of the help!!!
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    To be safe, probably 7:30-8. Make sure you clean out your egg thoroughly to ensure proper airflow for the overnighter. Let us know how it works!
  • Albert Eggstein
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. It was a long night but the que came out great. I had to adjust temperature around 1am and keep an eye on it but the feedback at the tailgate was nothing but raves.

I'm going to wait a while to do my next long smoke but now I think I have it under control.