Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First fire in the egg

eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What was your first cooking experience on the egg? What did you cook first and how did it turn out. What would be something easy to cook on the first test cooking?
Any dos and don'ts for the first outing? Finished the table today and assembly will be tomorrow. Anxiously awaiting the weekend cooking.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Do make sure you burp the egg.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome to the cult, Eggo. You are gonna love it. My first cook was chicken thighs, done indirect with a placesetter and some creamed spinach.

P1020068.jpg

Turned out incredible. Knowing what I do now, I would have just done them direct, but still a great first cook.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 4 yrs ago-got it on a Friday, had a colonoscopy that am and came home and cooked three racks of ribs.[I was on empty afterall} Sat nite put on a brisket-14 hr cook- all came out well. I had lurked on this forum for a couple of months so felt somewhat confident of lighting, platueau, temp control etc. And the people at chim chimney in League City [Houston area} were great
  • eggo
    Been lurking myself to do some learning. I did print out the temp settings by Grandpas grub.
    The thing is so nice and clean, kinda hate to fire it up, naw.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Biggest thing I have learned is to cook to temperature and not time. I did some bone in NY strips tonight and they were fantastic. Welcome to the fam, eggo.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    Someone told me to do that splatchcock (?) chicken, first. So, I did. It went very well and that was before I knew how to control the temperature, very well.

I had been told to do about 3 cooks on a low temp, at first.

So far, so good.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Be careful and dont let the temp over run your cook temp, and also dont be dissapointed when the gasket falls off after a couple of cooks, unless BGE has that taken care of and i havent heard about it. You will love it, enjoy
  • eggo
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Can hardly wait.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    My first cook was a pork tenderloin. Came out great. Learn to cook to temperature not by time. Play with the vents to learn temperature control of the egg and keep a log so you know howbto get to certain temps quicker. Welcome. You are hooked
  • My first cook was only a month or so ago and was a pizza. The next night, I did 2 pork butts and everything went very well. The forum members here helped me when the butts plateaued for which I a thankful. After 21 hours, the pork was perfect. Beginners luck!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    My first cook was a 2.5 in thick rib eye. Seasoned only with salt and pepper and cooked at 450. Turned out great. First time hubby did not put catsup on his steak.... come to think of it he has not put catsup on his steak for last 6 years.
    (Had to go to my cooking notes for this)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    My first cook chicken:

266.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    My first cook about 2 weeks ago, baby backs and a slab of beef ribs
    [/img]http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j479/PJM711/45a20baa.jpgWelcome to the craziness!
    Paula West Texas
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Oops
    45a20baa.jpg
    Paula West Texas
  • Hi,

Make sure you let the lump burn for 15-30 min until the puffy smoke & chemical smell disappear... That's not just for your first cook but every time you use new lump...

My vote is chicken thighs, and/or wings and/or legs....

Best of Luck..
  • ZINA
    ZINA Posts: 11
    My first fire in the egg was approx a month ago. I made chicken breast and a vege stir fry. My first complete meal was a couple of weeks. I did appetizer, dinner (smokeed turkery), zuchini casserole, and dessert in the egg. Everything turned out great.
  • eggo
    Assembled and ready to go this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like wife wants salmon, so think I'll try it on the cedar wood plank. Whatcha think?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Anything you cook sill come out great. Take your time and cook to temperature. The cooks will just get better and better with time.
  • eggo
    Had a successful first cook tonight. A change in plans and we went with pork loin and baked potato.
    Brined the potatoes, oiled and used sea salt. Got the egg to 350 degrees and put loin and potatoes on. Maintaining 350 degrees, + or - 5 to 10 degrees seemed too easy. Lucky I guess for the first time. Cooked both for 1 hr 50 min and 165 loin inner temp. They both came great. All went so well I forgot to rest the loin but it was moist and delicious anyway.
    Thanks to this forum, my first fire went well. I have gained a lot of knowledge in my short time lurking here.
    Would post a picture but don't know how yet.

photo.jpg

Thanks to the help posting the pic.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • eggo