Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lower plateau => lower finish temp?

grok
grok Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw it mentioned in an older thread that if your plateau is 165F, then you want to end the cook at 195F-200F. Also this poster said that if your plateau starts lower (it began ~155F for me), it would behoove one to end the cook at a temp less than 195F-200F by the difference of 165F and the actual plateau temp. This being my first brisket, I don't know any better and was hoping that I could get a second confirmation, or any comment.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I am no eggspert with brisket but have done a number of butts. I would not change my final target temp because of what the plateau did. Plateau's are weird and with butts you can have more then one, I my self have seen 3 in one cook. The target temp of 195-200 seams to be the magic number where the collagen and connective tissues have melted and broken down for the most tender end result with out over cooking these tougher cuts. That's my 2¢, good luck. :)

Blair

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Just use the fork twist test...If it twists, it's done. You are going for tenderness here, it is not a science. I think Brisket is the only cook where internal temp doesn't apply. Check for tenderness, and don't over think it.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I agree with LC...it is about tenderness with a brisket not necessarily temp. As it was explained to me when you stick your thermometer in a brisket it should go in like a knife in warm butter...very easy with no give at all...with most of mine that is around 195-210.... :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    just start checking for tenderness at 185 and cook til tender. dont worry about the plateau, lots of talk about plateaus and extending the period of time in the plateau etc, its all hogwash, i dont even pay attention to it anymore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it