Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza questione

BullyC
BullyC Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi To All
Have a Pizza question? Have never done one before,
From what I have read on forum, Legs down with platesetter, temp about 500 Use baking stone
with or without parchment paper? I thought using cornmeal on stone is sufficent not to stick.
Should I use big green egg baking stone or does it matter? Last, should I use something under stone
to let air circulate underneath stone to get a better crust? Don't say it, I no longer have my original
ceramic legs, didn't think I needed them, I know I can use something to have a gap between platesetter and baking stone. Your thoughts are appreciated.
thanks BullyC

Comments

• KB
    KB Posts: 144
    1. Legs down on platesetter; My ideal temp is 550 deg and I adjust the damper to keep it around that temperature
    2. cornmeal or bread crumbs on the peel keeps it from sticking
    3. Big Green Egg stone works great; some others break
    4. I use the original ceramic legs under my stone to keep it from getting too hot

I let my Egg heat up 40 minutes to an hour before I start throwing pizzas on the stone. All of this info is on this site if you search through the old posts

Good luck.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    BullyC wrote:
    * with or without parchment paper? I thought using cornmeal on stone is sufficent not to stick.
    * Should I use big green egg baking stone or does it matter?
    * Last, should I use something under stone to let air circulate underneath stone to get a better crust?

* I haven't used parchment paper yet, but am considering this option. I have always used cornmeal with great results, aside from having to clean the burned cornmeal inbetween each pizza. That's my main reason for wanting to try parchment paper myself.

* BGE baking stone has a VERY high heat tolerance. Many baking stones you'll find in stores will only work up to 450F or so... any high and you'll risk breaking/cracking the stone. I've used my BGE stone over 900F before with no problems. (of course, those temps completely obliterated my gasket.... so proceed at your own risk!)

* In my experience, yes. Before I realised that using the egg feet would work, I used ceramic briquettes. So whatever you have that can withstand high temperatures... go for it and use it :D
  • These guys nailed it. I use a flashlight to sneak a peak through the daisy wheel to see when it is done. Depending on temp you can gage the time but it is easier to view it with a light to be sure the cheese is browning and the crust has puffed up. (at 500 degrees it takes about 15 to 18 min)

I have had my egg for about 3 weeks and have done pizza 3 or 4 times. I love it!

Chad
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I do legs down, grid, and stone. My first pizzas I used cornmeal. Had some sticking problem getting pizza to slide onto and off the stone. My last pizzas, made 3, and used parchment paper on each one. Work your dough and build the pizza on the paper, lift, put it on the stone, after a few minutes pull paper and let pizza cook. So simple a caveman and even I could do it, and the pizzas were great.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!