Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wacky question....might be heat induced

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
did ya ever wonder if eating certain foods could cause you to gain more weight than what the food actually weighed.....six ounce chocolate candy bar, could ya gain 8 ounces eating it.......

t
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I've considered that question too. It was when I was in wrestling and trying to keep my weight down. I don't think it would be possible but I don't claim to be smart. :woohoo:
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Tom,

This explanation turned out to be MUCH longer than I expected but since I typed it ... here you go

I think it is more about how many calories the food contain and the way the body converts the calories.

For example 6 oz of chocolate may contain more calories that 6 oz of carots. Also the chocolate is calories that the body can convert to energy quickly (like of you are involved in a sport). But if you do not burn the energy of the chocolate, the body will try to store is (usually in fatty tissue)

The carot is a more complex energy source and does not yield the same output as the chocolate
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Actually, I think you can. Part of processing food is oxidation, which involves a chemical reaction that combines oxygen that you breathe with stuff that you eat. Sounds good to me anyway..... :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    My theory is simple: tasty food makes you fat and happy. Crappy food makes you skinny, gives you gas and a sour disposition.

Spring "Fat, Dumb And Happy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Do you want the real nutrition based answer?

Simple carbohydrates actually make you retain and create more fat cells. It's converting water and other elements into fat cells.

As a bonus they make your body physically crave even more. Welcome to the modern day America.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It is certainly true of drinking beer! :P :silly: :laugh: :blush: :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Short-term weight gain, like eating 2# of total food (by weight) for dinner, yet weighting more than 2# heavier the next morning is most likely related to the salt content in the food or liquid you had. The salt retains the liquids you drank during the day, making you weigh more the next morning. Over the course of the next day or so, you will eliminate the excess water and the weight goes back down (unless you eat more salty food) :ohmy:
    Mexican and Chinese foods are good examples of this.

Long term - the caloric value and fat conversion vs exercise factors all come into play.

Just my option and observations.... ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yup, that'd be the explanation that makes the most sense to me. Which means I agree with Capt. Frank just below. Beer, mmmm. Good beer, double plus mmmm.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    When the brisket comes out killer, I wake up feeling like I ate my Egg.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Tom,

Scratch the bar. Drink beer....pee, and repeat. B)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Great suggestion! :woohoo: :whistle: :woohoo: :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can even do it in a can to do the math. :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

None if it's heated on an adjustable rig, 0 calories...

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    sounds like we have enough experience around here to write a proposal and ask Uncle Sam for a big arsp research grant. can't think of a better place to do research than at an eggfest or three.........t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Talking about "pork"....... :laugh: