Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setting up stoker wireless with ASUS WL-330gE

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a little network challenged. Anyone use this router with their stoker to tie into their local wireless network? If, so, do you have a link to instructions a network idiot can follow?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    Ed, according to www.dd-wrt.com 's router database, your router is dd-wrt compatible. You need to search for the appropriate dd-wrt firmware and flash your router. Be very careful else you could brick the router. I got a used Linksys router and used dd-wrt to turn it into an access point for my stoker. Got tons of help from Grandpas Grub, thanks again Kent. I can walk you through if/when you need more help. Good luck.
    (edit: I presume your stoker is not the latest with built-in wifi)

Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Hey, you figured that our yourself. It seems all I did was run you around in circles... :laugh:

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

Is the Asus the router for your network or a second router you want to use with the stoker?

GG
  • egginator
    second router dedicated to stoker

Thanks,

Ed
  • egginator
    No built in wireless, although that would be awesome. Thanks, I'll start reading.

Ed
  • Grandpas Grub

If the Asus will act as an Access Point (or simular) then it is a matter of changing those settings, linking to your network router and plugging and ethernet cable form the stoker to the Asus.

Hold it... is your stoker one of the new models with WiFi built in?????? If so you shouldn't even need the Asus. Just follow the Stoker instructions and connect to your existing network. You would then type in the assigned IP address to a browser window and you are off and going.

Before continuing I will wait to see if your Stoker is the new model.

GG
  • egginator
    It's an old one with no wireless :-(
  • Grandpas Grub

Check the info on the Asus out and see if it will act as an access point (or similar function). If not follow Canugghead's instructions (carefully) and ww-drt the Asus.

You can than put the Asus in a bridge mode or access point. From there the set up is fairly simple.

GG
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    Sorry for jumping the gun on dd-wrt. Do what GG said, I just checked the manual for your router and it can operate in access point mode, you DON'T need dd-wrt. My apology.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub

Thanks for looking that up for egginator. That will save him some time.

Kent
  • EggNeato
    EggNeato Posts: 19
    Did you get it working? I am using the Asus WL-330gE with the latest Asus firmware (not sure of the version off hand) and have it connecting to my Linksys WRT-54GL that is running dd-wrt and using WPA2. I was planning on installing dd-wrt on the WL-330gE, but it seemed to work well enough with the Asus firmware I haven't upgraded it to dd-wrt, well, at least not yet.

I got my stoker about two months ago and got the WL-330gE just for the Stoker after I found it on sale for $15 brand new. I've done 3 overnights and so far so good with the WL-330gE.