Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT spark screen for egg?

Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is getting so dry here I am getting skittish about using the egg even on the covered porch :( . I will only take one spark and a good gust of wind to do a lot of damage. :S
Does anyone know if they make spark arrester screen to fit the egg. The only one I have found are for integrated into chimney caps.
Can the screen be purchased separately.
Thanks any info is appreciated.
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Some of the sparks coming out of the top of the egg are dang small. I wonder if BGE would send/sell you a square of screen 'fabric' that would be large enough to fit over and around the top vent. An 8 to 10 inch square should be big enough, you might want to take a measurement. It might be well worth a phone call.

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Joan, If you are talking about the screen that goes behind the door in the bottom of the egg. I have purchased the screen for my large that was born without one. I did have to work on it to get it to slid in the track with door. :)

In this pic I installed the screen behind the door in this egg.

000_1732.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Joan, You know those splatter screens that are sold? I'd get one of those and cut to fit over the top. Large enough to dip over the edges and secure it with some thin wire.
    Off the top of my head, I think that would work, and you'd have it quick.
    Good luck.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Nothing OT about this subject. I agree a spark screen in the DFMT seems like a no brainer of an improvement. We got some rain yesterday so no as worried today.
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    If you have an old screen door that had the metal screen ... you could cut a round section out of it and "tack" it with some high temp silicone to the inside of the DFMT's top.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Thanks...I had not thought of that. I will call the mothership in the morning. Just call me over cautious
  • Austin  Egghead
    That is what I am looking at on the net, but everything in part of a chimney cap I will need enough screen to cover the chimney opening for all the eggs. Thnaks
  • Austin  Egghead
    That is something I can try tomorrow I have one for the small skillet and large skillets.
    Sometimes you are so focus on the brown paper bag you loose sight of the exit :blush:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Guess I'd be more concerned about that 800 pound gorilla in this post - I mean you egg on a covered porch which I assume is attached to your home. Do you use some ventilation? BTW I agree a spark arrestor during dry conditions makes sense, but even in cold, wet conditions I'd think a porch has combustible material issues. Sorry if I sound like an alarmist. :(
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Thanks for the concern, but 800 lb gorrilla is all stone and the porch ceiling is hardy plank. Not a bit of wood. Designed to be an outdoor kitchen, but we decided to spend our money on making the house more energy sufficient.
    The fire marshall wasn't concerned about using the eggs on the porch. The large egg at ground level was not given the green light, however. Less than 6 feet from the fence and 50 acres of very dry grass.
    I am worried about a spark getting carried down to the grass.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Could you mail me some of that rain? :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Networking here rocks Joan!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks for the explanation there Joan. I've just seen some pictures of set ups over the years that have made me scratch my head and ask "why?".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Joan,

I think a piece of metal screen cut round would work if placed under the daisy wheel. It will get gunked up, but they would be cheep.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    why not use one of the dryer vent things people use as rain caps, and just control the temp with the bottom vent ...you could even put a piece of screen in it...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the spark arrestor on my tent stove has a series of screens. google mcmaster carr and search this part number, it will have enough material to make several screens. 9322T662
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Austin  Egghead
    Wow what a great site. I feel like a kid in a candy store! :laugh: Thanks for the link
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the screens dont have to be a real fine mesh, if you pile a couple up and spin them the open space gets smaller and the bigger openings wont clog as easily. dont know if they give the catalog for free to non businesses, back in college i made up a fake business to get the catalogs. its a real dangerous catalog :laugh: they have everything
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it