Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Capacity on LGE vs. XL

Options
alex_a
alex_a Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been on this forum for over a month and can say it is very very informative.

I still do not own an egg. I am still debating whether I need a XL egg or do I get the Large.

I used the search and found a lot of discussions as to whether to get a large or XL. What will help me decide is the following info:

How many NY strips can you fit on the grill on each model?

How big a butt roast can I do on a large?

Thanks! :cheer:

Comments

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    You can easily fit about a dozen NY Strips on the large.  

On two levels, I've done 6 x 8 or 9 pound boston butts.  4 on the cooker on the left and 6 on the right hand cooker. 

73ba8c7c.jpg

1e31f414.jpg
    13e97b15.jpg

I don't have a pic, but I've done 9 slabs of babybacks with the Adjustable rig shown below.   Only 4 on that cook, but I did three levels of three on another occasion. 

MoreWetBabybacks.jpg

Hope this helps,

Joe
  • alex_a
    Options
    very nice photos captain! did you mean I could do 12 NY strips straight on the grill or is that with the adjustable rig?
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you could cook them on the stock 18" grid. My steak of choice is the ribeye and I think I've had 7 or 8 of those on at once. I would likely never go multi-level with steaks.

I usually hot tub them in food saver bags and get the Large good and hot at about 650° dome and sear them for 90-120 seconds per side for a nice char and a good medium rare throughout.

A few ribeyes:

cf883bde.jpg

A filet that was done on the mini using the same hot tub method:

cda63f90.jpg

In a nutshell, unless you will be routinely cooking for a large group of people, the Large BGE is a helluva lot of cooker with a few accessories, purchased or home built.

Thanks for the kind words on my cooking. I've spent some time learning how to cook well and would give anybody a run with some fuel, tools and a coffee can, but the BGE and the tremendous amount of knowledge on the forum will make your food the envy of everyone you know who appreciates the finer chow in this world.

Additionally, I would rather have multiple cookers than one huge beast. You then have the ability to set up for multiple courses and dishes simultaneously, i.e. One steak searing station, one roasting potatoes au gratin or veggies, one with a Dutch oven full of chili. The possibilities are endless.

Just food for thought. No pun intended.

Joe
  • 3andsomedust
    Options
    I Agonized over the same decision 6 mos ago....ended up going with the XL and I absolutely LOVE it. Much more versatile in my opinion and when you need the space you have it. also the Ceramic grill store now offers about every accessory for the XL as the L. You can't go wrong with either....but Im sold on the XL. Good luck!
  • springtxegg
    Options
    Adding to 3andsomedust...

I cook burgers and sausage on the XL with coal on the back 1/2 using Ceramic Grill's dividers. Semi indirect for the sausage on the front and burgers direct on the back. Warms up the sausage without the heat needed to cook the burgers.

You'll find yourself branching out into pizza(like I did). Store bought pizza crusts fit well on the XL.

In Texas it's difficult to find a small brisket, so the XL works great for smoking.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You can cook 4 butts and a 12 pound brisket on a Large.

100_4256.jpg

100_4257.jpg

100_4258.jpg

100_4259.jpg

Easy,peasy!
  • alex_a
    Options
    My big issue is the total cost of this endeavor. I could probably get the large by the end of this year but the XL would have to wait till 2012.

I live in south florida and can't see the wood table surviving for too long in the humidity/rain as it will be in my semi covered patio. I could see myself staining/sealing it every 1.5 - 2 years.

I have seen a metal table at a local BGE dealer from challengercabinets.com very nice but $$$$.

the nest isn't an option as it puts the heat source close to my roaming 2 and 4 year olds.

decisions....decisions!

the more i delve into this forum the more i want a BGE!
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Alex,

There's no doubt that the egg is a sizable investment.

If there is any possibility that you can make the Eggtoberfest in Georgia, you can save approximately $400 buying a demo egg that will come with the full lifetime warranty.

I bought my large at retail here in MI around Father's Day in 2009 and spent about a grand. I was in Maine last year, working for General Dynamics/Bath Iron Works and turned some co-workers on to the BGE.

We attended the NewEggLandFest in New Hampshire and picked up two Large BGE's for less than $1400. Awesome discount for a new egg with one or two cooks on it. Not to mention that you will meet a bunch of the hardcore regulars from the forum, likely pick up a few cooking tips and have a great time.

I clicked the link and didn't see an obvious link to the package prices for demo eggs this year, but there is always a substantial discount and the feet itself is worth the trip.

Even if you have to wait until next spring, there is at least one, if not two, festivals in FL. Save the cash for the purchase and wait for the discount, no matter which size you choose.

Joe
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Go with the XL, the extra space is a blessing.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options
    You will never regret getting a BGE. I have cooked more on my egg than I ever did on My gasser.More taste and just as easy.Just think this will be the last...er the last type of grill you will ever buy. Buy the large then you will want another anyways.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i like the large egg with a second one down the road over one xl, but everyone is cooking differently and for different crowds. did 5 bone in strip steaks this weekend, could have fit maybe 3 more, boneless maybe 4 more. for a larger crowd i would have cooked them differently. hot water bath in a ziplock for an hour, then its just searing and slipping them on a plate covered loosely with foil, in 12 minutes, maybe a little more you could have 20 steaks sitting on the plate resting before serving. if i were doing really big cooks every weekend thru the year i would need either two larges or an xl, i would want the 2 larges. seems every time you step up an egg in size the lump used goes up and its significant when your burning 400 pounds a year, my lump usage went down to maybe 250 when i bought a small to go with the large, its a lump miser

004-25.jpg

some other bigger cooks

turkey about 18 pounds, can easily do a 20 pound plus bird
    004-8.jpg

beef ribs and baby backs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/DSC_0539.jpg

some more ribs, plenty room for more racks, the record was over 20 racks posted by chef will

DSC_0062.jpg

this was a thigh cook on one level

e678e6f1.jpg

loin casserole and potatoes, thats a full size lasagna pan

100_0808.jpg

about 32 pounds butt and brisket

2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    Options
    Put me on the XL side. I was also agonizing over it, then my wife told me to just get the XL so I wouldn't gripe about wishing I had gone bigger. Couldn't be happier. I will even cook a single steak on it. While it might be over kill for that, there is no way I can afford two of them. And I can cook a couple of butts or ribs lying flat and I don't have to get creative with stacking racks, etc. But you can't go wrong either way.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    Holy moly, did you feed the 8th Air Force? LOL that is an impressive pile of feed.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I bought a large after a friend regretted buying an XL. He told me he should of bought the large and a medium/small. It is a lot more versatile (not limited to one temp cook at the same time) and not that much more money to do it that way. I'm glad I took his advice and bought a large. Now I have a small also. Perfect combo and allows me to cook at a variety of different temps. Glad I didn't buy the xl.