Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna from the BGE Cookbook

Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think some of you might have seen the chops recipe from the BGE cookbook I posted earlier this weekend. I found this at the same time and I am truly glad I did. Not only was it very delicious but it highlighted the true versatility of the egg. I am an admitted carnivore so when I said I wanted to make vegetable lasagna I think the wife was a little concerned that the heat had gotten to me. :lol: She may have been right! :) This was a bit of a labor of love as the recipe called for components that were full recipes themselves. So after about 3 hours of both of us cooking and another hour of baking and cooling we truly had the most delicious Vegetable Lasagna I have ever eaten.

All of the vegetables get grilled and I have pictures of most. There is yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, portabello mushrooms, spinach, and red peppers in the filling. There is a ricotta cheese mixture and a bechamel sauce and it is all topped with mozzarella cheese.

It begins with making the sauce and for this I grilled 2 pounds of roma tomatoes that were tossed in olive oil and seasoned well with salt and pepper.

Other_Misc%25252089.jpg

Those then are run through a food mill, a strainer would work to, to remove the pulp and seeds from the juice. That is simmered and reduced a bit and fresh thyme and a lot of basil is added. The sauce is ridiculously good and I will absolutely make that often and freeze some for future use.

Then all of the veges are treated much the same way. Tossed in olive oil and seasoned well with salt and pepper. I was tempted to eat the squash as it came off the grill it smelled so good.
Other_Misc%25252091.jpg

The spinach is quickly sauteed to wilt it and the grilled vege are cut into a large dice. This is tossed to mix and set aside for the assembly.
Other_Misc%25252092.jpg

The bechamel was still in the works, but here is some sauce in the bottom and everything else ready to be layered. The prunes and the apples do not go in the lasagna. :lol:
Other_Misc%25252093.jpg

Assembled and ready to go back on the egg for some indirect baking.
Other_Misc%25252094.jpg

About 45 minutes later we had this...
Other_Misc%25252095.jpg

It was now 9pm and dinner was long past. We had planned it that way anyway, but we were really tired too. It cooled and went into the fridge for tomorrow.

The plan was to reheat as needed and here is a couple shots of the cold cross section.
Other_Misc%252520100.jpg

Other_Misc%252520101.jpg

The sauce was reheated and went on the plate and each peice was reheated and placed on top the sauce. A few of the finished product.
Other_Misc%252520103.jpg

Other_Misc%252520102.jpg

Other_Misc%25252098.jpg

Really some very tasty stuff and really something that will get made early in the day when there is nothing else to do. :)

Thanks for looking!
Juju
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Looks great! Bet with the smoky flavor on the veggies you don't even miss the meat.

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• That looks very good, and I can tell it was a labor of love. All day cooks like that are very enjoyable, but the proof is in the taste of the food.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Very nice!
    It's a lot of work but in the end worth the effort. And it's better the next day anyway, from my experience. Oh boy, eggplant, love the flavor. Excellent pic's. :cheer:
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    That looks absotutely incredible!! 8 - ),,, Unfortunately, that recipe isn't in what is probably an earlier edition of the cookbook that came with my EGG. Anyone know if the recipe might be available somewhere?? Thanks!!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I see it's available online (at Amazon, for one). Perhaps I can get a comp gift when I purchase a replacement gasket...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Healthy and hearty! Looks fabulous, nice job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • jaxsongirl
    jaxsongirl Posts: 10
    WOW....that looks absolutely delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :cheer:
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Yep, that was my first cook from the bge cookbook- you are right....took a lot of time, but well worth it! B) Yours looks great!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Great looking cook! Goes on the list of to-do recipes!
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Thanks for the kind words... it was time consuming, but as some have said, worth every minute. A delicious dish to be sure.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com