Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Iron Vent Cap too Loose?

Mass. Wine Guy
Mass. Wine Guy Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a recently new Egg owner and have a question abut the top vent unit. When I slide the entire daisy wheel assembly to open or close it, it slides very loosely. No danger of detaching, just loose. Once when I lifted the Egg cover the iron housing fell off behind onto the ground. Is this supposed to be this loose?

Thanks.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    put the pivot screw facing the front of the egg when you put the daisy on, in that position it wont slide open. it will gunk up in time and not be as loose
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    fishlessman wrote:
    put the pivot screw facing the front of the egg when you put the daisy on, in that position it wont slide open. it will gunk up in time and not be as loose

What he said. :)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    The DFMT (Dual Function Metal Top) is very loose on my medium egg, but not my others. A strip of nomex gasket around the top of the chimney tightened things up enough to keep it from running off into the bushes, should I get a bit too enthusiastic about removing the cover.

As far as the daisy wheel sliding off to the side when you lift the dome, the others have pointed you in the right direction, regarding the alignment of the screws.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Read the Naked Whiz tutorial already posted. It will not only show you how to keep the DFMT from falling off, but how to maintain your settings on it when you open the dome :):)
  • Get some aluminum foil and make a quick and dirty doughnut gasket around the top of the vent.
    Push the DFMT down and onto the aluminum foil "gasket" :)
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    don't bother with it. i never use mine. control temps with bottom vent only. save the dfmt for lo n slo cooks. next 250° cook I do, i'm going to see if even that can be controlled from below. wouldn't be surprised.

but if u insist on using it, do what they said re alignment.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Mine are loose and it doesn't seem to matter. As others have said check out TNW for pivot alignment. The thing I notice is that The hinge affair on both of my meds seems to result in a slight jerk just before the stop point, serving to flip the cap off if caught unawares. Forewarned is forearmed.