Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

San Marzano Tomatoes

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally found canned San Marzano tomatoes at an Itaian Market in Pittsburgh. All the celebrity cooks on TV use them. Anyone here have experience with these? I'd hate to use them with hot sausage or something that would over ride their flavor. Suggestions?

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Any kind of red gravy! They are fantastic for that. Spaghetti, pizza, etc.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I use them for all the usual suspects.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Definitely, pizza! I actually prefer the tomatoes I had been using (not SM) for pasta sauce, though...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BrunDog
    BrunDog Posts: 27
    Options
    Note there is a "San Marzano" brand, and there are San Marzano tomatoes, which are from a specific region in south Italy. These are not necessarily the same. Nonetheless, real San Marzanos have great flavor and will not overpower anything, just add great fruit and richness when cooked.

-BD
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You can buy and plant the seeds here.Never tried them but may next year.
  • PattyO
    Options
    Mine are La Bella San Marzano Italian peeled tomatoes from Italy. I hope they are the real Mc Coy because they weren't cheap.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    PattyO - they are great crushed on a pizza with some buffala mozzerella and fresh basil. In the Pittsburgh area, Delallo's San Marzano's with the DOP sticker are normally available. I've used the LaBella and they are good as well. If you go on Penn Mac's website, or visit their store in the strip, they have some san marzano (brand) and also the real ones in the big tins for a reasonable price. Their shipping isn't too bad, so sometimes I just order them and have them shipped if I'm not getting into the city.
  • PattyO
    Options
    I did get them at Penn Mac, thanks. The only big cans they carry had basil in it. I like to season my own cooking. But thanks. Are you close to Pgh?
  • psiman
    psiman Posts: 7
    Options
    The San Marzano brand canned tomatoes are "grown domestically in the U.S.A." and distributed by Simpson Imports.