Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding wood during a cook

Options
funhunter63
funhunter63 Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How can you add wood during a cook with the racks in the way? Is it not necessary to add wood during a cook?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If you add enough at the beginning, no need to add later. If you have to, take the racks off and add your wood. Put the racks back on.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    The wood for smoking smolders, so if you place it in different spots in your lump stack they'll smolder until they burn up, then the next one starts. And have fun! The Egg is low maintenance!
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    Are you talking about wood for smoke, or lump for burning?

If the latter, I think the directions in the Egg manual suggest adding lump to just above or below the holes in the fire box. But I think most people fill their Eggs halfway up the fire ring (that sits on top of the fire box).

I only have a medium sized Egg and I cooked an 18 hour pork butt without adding so much as a matchstick of extra wood! Pretty darn impressive.
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    it is easier to put your chunks in when you light up. however... if you need to lift up your rack/grate drop a few chunks in....i have a tool i made ( a metal rod with a loop on the end) that will fit thru the grate then push around and under plate setter.
  • PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    Options
    If I need to add wood for smoke during a cook I put about a 4" piece of fruitwood about an inch in diameter in the ash hole under the burning coals. Just open the sliding door and push it under the fire box with some tongs. It smokes quite easily with the heat from the burning lump above it.
    Phil
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    PhilOsh wrote:
    If I need to add wood for smoke during a cook I put about a 4" piece of fruitwood about an inch in diameter in the ash hole under the burning coals. Just open the sliding door and push it under the fire box with some tongs. It smokes quite easily with the heat from the burning lump above it.
    Phil

Interesting idea! I like it.

My problem is that I always forget to add the wood to the coals in the beginning. So then I have my fire raging, the plate setter in, a drip pan on that and the grid with meat on top. Who wants to take all that stuff out at that point to get the wood chunks in!!! :evil:
    Really, it's the only thing I don't like about the egg - difficult access to the fire once it's all assembled.
    Packerland, Wisconsin